sync hangs

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

sync hangs

Richard Kimber
I'm having problems accessing a usb card that I've been trying to write
to.  In Caja I get an error saying "An operation is already pending"
If I type sync on the command line it hangs.
I see from ps that there are three sync processes in uninterruptible
sleep and I can't kill them.  I assume this is the problem.

What's the best way to proceed?  I'm using Ubuntu Mate 18.04 with
4.15.0-24-generic

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: sync hangs

Colin Law
On 20 July 2018 at 17:58, Richard Kimber <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm having problems accessing a usb card that I've been trying to write
to.  In Caja I get an error saying "An operation is already pending"
If I type sync on the command line it hangs.
I see from ps that there are three sync processes in uninterruptible
sleep and I can't kill them.  I assume this is the problem.

What's the best way to proceed?  I'm using Ubuntu Mate 18.04 with
4.15.0-24-generic

Is that an SD card or similar cheap device?  If so then throw it in the bin and get a new one.  Sandisk or Samsung or similar good quality one.

Colin
 

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: sync hangs

Richard Kimber
On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 22:13:52 +0100
Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is that an SD card or similar cheap device?  If so then throw it in
> the bin and get a new one.  Sandisk or Samsung or similar good
> quality one.

Well, I tried two different SD cards, both of which were
SanDisk

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: sync hangs

Colin Law
On 21 July 2018 at 10:30, Richard Kimber <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 22:13:52 +0100
Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is that an SD card or similar cheap device?  If so then throw it in
> the bin and get a new one.  Sandisk or Samsung or similar good
> quality one.

Well, I tried two different SD cards, both of which were
SanDisk

Not that then.  What do you see in /var/log/syslog when you plug it in?  Copy/paste that section of the log here.

Then what do you see there if you try to write to it?

Also what does this show, assuming the device is mounted as /dev/sdb
sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdb

Colin

 

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: sync hangs

Richard Kimber
On Sat, 21 Jul 2018 10:41:21 +0100
Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not that then.  What do you see in /var/log/syslog when you plug it
> in? Copy/paste that section of the log here.

Jul 21 11:54:49 infinity kernel: [69313.194251] usb 4-1: new SuperSpeed
USB device number 9 using xhci_hcd
Jul 21 11:54:49 infinity kernel:[69313.241701] usb 4-1: New USB device
found, idVendor=11b0, idProduct=6368
Jul 21 11:54:49 infinity kernel: [69313.241703] usb 4-1:
New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
Jul 21 11:54:49 infinity kernel: [69313.241704] usb 4-1: Product:
Multi-Reader Jul 21 11:54:49 infinity kernel: [69313.241704] usb 4-1:
Manufacturer: Kingston Jul 21 11:54:49 infinity kernel: [69313.241705]
usb 4-1: SerialNumber: 08738154806110
Jul 21 11:54:49 infinity mtp-probe: checking bus 4, device 9:
"/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb4/4-1"
Jul 21 11:54:49 infinity mtp-probe: bus: 4, device: 9 was not an MTP
device
Jul 21 11:54:49 infinity kernel: [69313.250119] usb-storage
4-1:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
Jul 21 11:54:49 infinity kernel: [69313.250186] scsi host7: usb-storage
4-1:1.0 Jul 21 11:54:49 infinity upowerd[1846]: unhandled action 'bind'
on /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb4/4-1/4-1:1.0
Jul 21 11:54:49 infinity upowerd[1846]: unhandled action 'bind'
on /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb4/4-1
Jul 21 11:54:50 infinity kernel: [69314.283314] scsi 7:0:0:0:
Direct-Access              Multi-Reader  -0 1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
Jul 21 11:54:50 infinity kernel: [69314.291371] scsi 7:0:0:1:
Direct-Access              Multi-Reader  -1 1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
Jul 21 11:54:50 infinity kernel: [69314.299051] scsi 7:0:0:2:
Direct-Access              Multi-Reader  -2 1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
Jul 21 11:54:50 infinity kernel: [69314.306789] scsi 7:0:0:3:
Direct-Access              Multi-Reader  -3 1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
Jul 21 11:54:50 infinity kernel: [69314.307001] sd 7:0:0:0: Attached
scsi generic sg7 type 0 Jul 21 11:54:50 infinity kernel: [69314.307154]
sd 7:0:0:1: Attached scsi generic sg8 type 0
Jul 21 11:54:50 infinity kernel: [69314.307299] sd 7:0:0:2: Attached
scsi generic sg9 type 0
Jul 21 11:54:50 infinity kernel: [69314.307426] sd 7:0:0:3: Attached
scsi generic sg10 type 0
Jul 21 11:54:51 infinity kernel: [69315.210209] sd 7:0:0:2: [sdi]
Attached SCSI removable disk
Jul 21 11:54:51 infinity kernel:[69315.212447] sd 7:0:0:3: [sdj]
30318592 512-byte logical blocks: (15.5 GB/14.5 GiB)
Jul 21 11:54:51 infinity kernel: [69315.214832] sd 7:0:0:3: [sdj] Write
Protect is off
Jul 21 11:54:51 infinity kernel: [69315.214833] sd 7:0:0:3: [sdj] Mode
Sense: 2f 00 00 00
Jul 21 11:54:51 infinity kernel: [69315.217142] sd 7:0:0:3: [sdj] Write
cache: disabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
Jul 21 11:54:51 infinity kernel: [69315.221373] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdg]
Attached SCSI removable disk
Jul 21 11:54:51 infinity kernel: [69315.221834] sd 7:0:0:1: [sdh]
Attached SCSI removable disk
Jul 21 11:54:51 infinity kernel: [69315.229059] sdj: sdj1 sdj2 sdj3
Jul 21 11:54:51 infinity kernel: [69315.232027] sd 7:0:0:3: [sdj]
Attached SCSI removable disk

> Then what do you see there if you try to write to it?

There is nothing extra, other than some networking info that is not
relevant to this.

> Also what does this show, assuming the device is mounted as /dev/sdb
> sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdb

this gives:
Disk /dev/sdj: 468 MiB, 490733568 bytes, 958464 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x2935a40d

Device     Boot Start    End Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/sdj1  *     8192  90111   81920   40M  c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sdj2       90112 958463  868352  424M 83 Linux

I should add that this used to work on 17.10, so it's not new untested
hardware.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: sync hangs

Colin Law
On 21 July 2018 at 12:15, Richard Kimber <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jul 2018 10:41:21 +0100
Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not that then.  What do you see in /var/log/syslog when you plug it
> in? Copy/paste that section of the log here.

Jul 21 11:54:49 infinity kernel: [69313.194251] usb 4-1: new SuperSpeed
USB device number 9 using xhci_hcd
Jul 21 11:54:49 infinity kernel:[69313.241701] usb 4-1: New USB device
found, idVendor=11b0, idProduct=6368
Jul 21 11:54:49 infinity kernel: [69313.241703] usb 4-1:
New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
Jul 21 11:54:49 infinity kernel: [69313.241704] usb 4-1: Product:
Multi-Reader Jul 21 11:54:49 infinity kernel: [69313.241704] usb 4-1:
Manufacturer: Kingston Jul 21 11:54:49 infinity kernel: [69313.241705]

Are you using one of these?
You said you were plugging in a USB card, not an adaptor containing an SD card, if that is what it is.

I don't know what the problem might be, perhaps someone else can help.

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: sync hangs

Richard Kimber
On Sat, 21 Jul 2018 13:39:53 +0100
Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Are you using one of these?
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-FCR-HS4-Hi-Speed-Media-Reader/dp/B00VAGX6MW
> You said you were plugging in a USB card, not an adaptor containing
> an SD card, if that is what it is.

yes it's one of those. In my original post  I  mistyped usb for SD.
Sorry.

> I don't know what the problem might be, perhaps someone else can help.

I did try rebooting, but still had the same problem.  However, there
was a kernel update today, so I installed that (though it seemed to
hang right at the end, maybe because of the sync problem) and I
rebooted.  Since the update it has worked OK, so maybe it was some sort
of kernel issue. I'll see how it goes.

Thanks for helping.
- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: sync hangs [solved]

Richard Kimber
On Sat, 21 Jul 2018 14:08:23 +0100
Richard Kimber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I did try rebooting, but still had the same problem.  However, there
> was a kernel update today, so I installed that (though it seemed to
> hang right at the end, maybe because of the sync problem) and I
> rebooted.  Since the update it has worked OK, so maybe it was some
> sort of kernel issue. I'll see how it goes.

It turned out it was nothing to do with software. The problem was
almost certainly a failed external usb drive that the system was unable
to connect to, and thus it could not be synced. This screwed up other
usb activities. I'll know for certain when I've replaced the drive but,
having taken it out of the system, everything is working fine and I can
write to my SD cards.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users