sync to external drive

Gary J. Kirkpatrick
I am looking for a gui program that syncs pc to an external drive, USB or card reader.  I have found three but all are rather complicated:

In installed Syncthing and find it cumbersome-  for example to see what is going on you have to go to 127.0.0.1:8384  It does not seem to get easier after that.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Re: sync to external drive

Karl Auer
On Wed, 2017-11-15 at 08:38 +0100, Gary J. Kirkpatrick wrote:
> I am looking for a gui program that syncs pc to an external drive,
> USB or card reader.

What do you want your GUI to do, exactly? What controls do you expect
from it?

Regards, K.

Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: A52E F6B9 708B 51C4 85E6 1634 0571 ADF9 3C1C 6A3A
Old fingerprint: E00D 64ED 9C6A 8605 21E0 0ED0 EE64 2BEE CBCB C38B

Re: sync to external drive

Matthew Crews

Give grsync a try. It is a graphical front-end to rsync.

Things like syncthing are more intended for computer-to-computer sync, like Dropbox.

Re: sync to external drive

On 15 November 2017 at 08:38, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am looking for a gui program that syncs pc to an external drive, USB or
> card reader.  I have found three but all are rather complicated:
[...]
> Any suggestions?

Some of these fit the bill.

https://www.tecmint.com/linux-system-backup-tools/

https://www.cyberciti.biz/open-source/awesome-backup-software-for-linux-unix-osx-windows-systems/

http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/10-best-linux-backup-solutions

Xen

Re: sync to external drive

Xen
Karl Auer schreef op 15-11-2017 12:47:
> On Wed, 2017-11-15 at 08:38 +0100, Gary J. Kirkpatrick wrote:
>> I am looking for a gui program that syncs pc to an external drive,
>> USB or card reader.
>
> What do you want your GUI to do, exactly? What controls do you expect
> from it?

Just use freefilesync I would say.

I assume you do not want a complete backup of your system, only data
files?

Regards.

Re: sync to external drive

Gary J. Kirkpatrick

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 2:10 PM, Xen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Karl Auer schreef op 15-11-2017 12:47:
On Wed, 2017-11-15 at 08:38 +0100, Gary J. Kirkpatrick wrote:
I am looking for a gui program that syncs pc to an external drive,
USB or card reader.

What do you want your GUI to do, exactly? What controls do you expect
from it?

Just use freefilesync I would say.

I assume you do not want a complete backup of your system, only data files?

Regards.

Thanks for the replies.  What I am looking for is to back up some data files (images of my artwork- they are synced with Dropbox but I also want a local copy).  So what I would like is each time I make a change on my hard drive the change would be reflected on the backup medium (I want to use the sd card).

I am under the impression that a backup tool would not remove a file from a back up device even if it is removed from the hard drive so I used the term 'sync.'  Am I correct in this?  Cloud servers sync but backup tools do not?

thanks

garyk

Xen

Re: sync to external drive

Xen
Gary J. Kirkpatrick schreef op 15-11-2017 14:33:

Thanks for the replies.  What I am looking for is to back up some data
files (images of my artwork- they are synced with Dropbox but I also
want a local copy).  So what I would like is each time I make a change
on my hard drive the change would be reflected on the backup medium (I
want to use the sd card).

I am under the impression that a backup tool would not remove a file
from a back up device even if it is removed from the hard drive so I
used the term 'sync.'  Am I correct in this?  Cloud servers sync but
backup tools do not?

thanks

garyk

https://www.freefilesync.org

It's not by default automatic but you can easily set up a job for it
(say every hour)

However it will do what you ask here.

Re: sync to external drive

Peter Flynn
On 15/11/17 12:00, Matthew Crews wrote:

> [...]

Definitely grsync. I use it all the time to sync to external USB drive,
omitting those directories which are either regeneratable or which are
svn repos which are backed up separately.

///Peter

Re: sync to external drive

Matthew Crews

I was doing some further research into this, and git-annex might suit your needs in addition to what others have suggested.

https://git-annex.branchable.com/

Also available in the repositories

https://packages.ubuntu.com/artful/git-annex

-Matt
SDA

Re: sync to external drive

SDA
On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 08:38:52AM +0100, Gary J. Kirkpatrick wrote:

> I am looking for a gui program that syncs pc to an external drive, USB or
> card reader.  I have found three but all are rather complicated:
>

> unix.stackexchange.com/questions/66749/how-to-auto-sync-with-a-plugged-in-usb-mass-storage-device
>
> In installed Syncthing and find it cumbersome-  for example to see what is
> going on you have to go to 127.0.0.1:8384  It does not seem to get easier
> after that.
>
> Any suggestions?

The default backup manager in Ubuntu 17.10 will do this - It's front end to
rsync. I use it to back up to external USB 2 Tb every early am. Works
fantastic.

Re: sync to external drive

Thufir Hawat
My understanding is that you're wanting a GUI tool.

If you're willing to take to the CLI I suggest DAR:

http://dar.linux.free.fr/

I think it might have a GUI, called GUI DAR perhaps, or something along
those lines.  Maybe.

GL,

Thufir

Xen

Re: sync to external drive

Xen
thufir schreef op 23-11-2017 11:48:
> My understanding is that you're wanting a GUI tool.
>
> If you're willing to take to the CLI I suggest DAR:
>
> http://dar.linux.free.fr/

Dar is really terrible and extremely hard to use, the manual page is 20
to 30 pages long or more (a lot more probably) and hard to read for
quick reference, and it is not meant for syncing, but for archiving,
with special emphasis on the splitting of files.

I really wish people would stop recommending mediocre tools that just
waste everyone's time.

Every time a question like this is asked a number of underdeveloped
and/or inappropriate solutions are brought to the table that no one in
his right mind would actually use for the job.

Let's call it the Tiny Tools List.

For instance, if you are used to tar, dar is incomprehensible.

Last time I spent 15 minutes trying to remember how to unpack a serial
archive (stream archive).

It wouldn't simply recognise that it was a stream archive, no it
required a special option for that.

I have never used a tool that was harder than dar (well except for Vim
maybe :p).

Yes and aufs is difficult, but still doable.

It just seems pretty clear that the user wanted a GUI tool and that
several good ones have already been mentioned.

Why bring up the mediocre stuff you know.

Beats me.

Re: sync to external drive

On 23 November 2017 at 11:48, thufir <[hidden email]> wrote:
> My understanding is that you're wanting a GUI tool.
>
> If you're willing to take to the CLI I suggest DAR:

So why suggest a non-GUI tool?!

(And, TBH, why _that_ one?)

Re: sync to external drive

On 23 November 2017 at 14:24, Xen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dar is really terrible and extremely hard to use, the manual page is 20 to
> 30 pages long or more (a lot more probably) and hard to read for quick
> reference, and it is not meant for syncing, but for archiving, with special
> emphasis on the splitting of files.

You've noticed I don't often agree with you... :-) But I do on this one!

> I really wish people would stop recommending mediocre tools that just waste
> everyone's time.

I know what you mean. My most recent spare laptop is now an
experimental testbed for non-Linux OSes. One is eComStation. I used to
like OS/2, about 25y ago.

It doesn't understand perfectly legal disk partitioning created by
Linux. So I'm using a tool called DFSee.

It is the nastiest piece of partitioning software I've seen in
decades. The OS/2 fans love it.

People like strange things. One person's powerful tool is another's nightmare.

I raise hackles because I hate both vi/vim/elvis _and_ Emacs. And Nano. And Joe.

I like eFTE and SetEdit and Tilde.

Nobody's heard of them and Unix greybeards thing I'm insane. Even
though I'm a Unix greybeard too. This entertains me.

> Every time a question like this is asked a number of underdeveloped and/or
> inappropriate solutions are brought to the table that no one in his right
> mind would actually use for the job.

Welcome to the FOSS Unix world. :-/

> Let's call it the Tiny Tools List.
>
> For instance, if you are used to tar, dar is incomprehensible.
>
> Last time I spent 15 minutes trying to remember how to unpack a serial
> archive (stream archive).
>
> It wouldn't simply recognise that it was a stream archive, no it required a
> special option for that.
>
> I have never used a tool that was harder than dar (well except for Vim maybe
> :p).

Agreed.

> Yes and aufs is difficult, but still doable.

If I understand what it is, I don't see much comparison.

Rsync FTW, IMHO.

> It just seems pretty clear that the user wanted a GUI tool and that several
> good ones have already been mentioned.
>
> Why bring up the mediocre stuff you know.
>
> Beats me.

Because they thought it had an optional extra GUI, I presume. Still a
bizarre response, though.

Xen

Re: mediocre packages [was: sync to external drive]

Xen
Liam Proven schreef op 23-11-2017 16:20:

> You've noticed I don't often agree with you... :-) But I do on this
> one!

Well you like user-friendly software.

That's a little a-typical in Linux.

> People like strange things. One person's powerful tool is another's
> nightmare.

Yeah but...

Most of the time it is not even that, it is not even their power tool.

I think most of the time they are recommending something they haven't
actually used a lot themselves.

> I raise hackles because I hate both vi/vim/elvis _and_ Emacs. And Nano.
> And Joe.

If it was up to me Emacs would be removed from all Linux distributions.

Vim is fine, it is just a single program, pretty small, doesn't bother
anyone.

> I like eFTE and SetEdit and Tilde.

Tilde is that MS-DOS editor right.

I find it hard to imagine I could live without Vim though.

It would have to be a text editor (text mode editor) with a lot of
features.

Vim tends to become less ghastly as you learn more important stuff you
never could learn before because there really isn't that good
documentation.

For example * makes you jump back to the previous spot you came from
before you searched something.

No wait, muscle memory is wrong, muscle memory is right.

It's Ctrl-O !!

* actually searches the keyword under the cursor.

So together you can hop somewhere and return.

Also another thing I learned was to use :r to read files into the
current file you are editing.

You can also execute some shell filter in between:

:r file | grep "text"

Wrong again.

Haha.

:r !cat file.sh | grep "text"

In case you forget to attain sudo rights before editing:

:w !sudo tee %

Little bit offtopic of course.

> Welcome to the FOSS Unix world. :-/

>> I have never used a tool that was harder than dar (well except for Vim
>> maybe
>> :p).
>
> Agreed.
>
>> Yes and aufs is difficult, but still doable.
>
> If I understand what it is, I don't see much comparison.

Difficult man page, odd syntax for passing options to mounts.

> Rsync FTW, IMHO.

For me too many options.

I use it.

But like Vim I only scratch the surface.

> Because they thought it had an optional extra GUI, I presume. Still a
> bizarre response, though.

Those things tend to be extremely lacking too.

You know what was entertaining?

Sitting in a Debian 7 installation and using aptitude

To just lazily browse packages.

There is a wealth of stuff you usually will never find because you use
apt.

Aptitude is a bit hard to get used to but after that it is pretty nice
to use.

With one small big 'bug'....

But it is a usable "GUI" and it has LISTS and MENUS and it is even
MULTI-WINDOW

And it is intuitive enough that you accidentally discover stuff you can
use.

It just doesn't (didn't) reverse automatically added packages when you
remove the main added package again, leaving auto-installed packages
that are not linked to anything but that are also not autoremoved by
apt-get.

Which is deeply annoying.

Although you could press ! to clear this stuff (I think) that was not
actually a reverse operation.

So if you install dkms it installs gcc-4.6 and cpp-4.6, if you remove
dkms it leaves gcc and cpp chosen,

if you then install it installs them, both are set to auto, but they are
not auto cleaned.

Kinda ruined my experience.... but anyway.

Re: sync to external drive

Thufir Hawat
On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 16:20:31 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

> On 23 November 2017 at 14:24, Xen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Dar is really terrible and extremely hard to use, the manual page is 20
>> to 30 pages long or more (a lot more probably) and hard to read for
>> quick reference, and it is not meant for syncing, but for archiving,
>> with special emphasis on the splitting of files.
>
> You've noticed I don't often agree with you...  But I do on this one!

Ok, ok.  for the record, there are a few GUI front-ends, including:

https://github.com/peckto/gdar

I liked it.  Anyhow.

Xen

Re: sync to external drive

Xen
thufir schreef op 26-11-2017 9:25:

> On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 16:20:31 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
>
>> On 23 November 2017 at 14:24, Xen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dar is really terrible and extremely hard to use, the manual page is
>>> 20
>>> to 30 pages long or more (a lot more probably) and hard to read for
>>> quick reference, and it is not meant for syncing, but for archiving,
>>> with special emphasis on the splitting of files.
>>
>> You've noticed I don't often agree with you...  But I do on this one!
>

> Ok, ok.  for the record, there are a few GUI front-ends, including:
>
> https://github.com/peckto/gdar
>

> I liked it.  Anyhow.

Yeah yeah, I'm sorry I was so hard on you...

Seems like a reasonable application.

Hasn't been updated since 14.04 though...

Re: sync to external drive

Ralf Mardorf-2
>> https://github.com/peckto/gdar

"You can create a full backup of your home partition with dar by
issuning the following command: # dar -R /home/ -c /var/backup/home-$(date "+%Y%m%d")"

In this context the above example doesn't fit the definition of a
backup. While writing a script you could make a backup of myscript.sh
to myscript.sh.bak even in the same directory, but if upstream of
software provides an example to backup /home to /var I would be careful
with using such software for _real_ backups of important data. Is there
a plausible reason to assume that the software is better, than the
idiotic example?

Re: sync to external drive

Gary J. Kirkpatrick

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 3:35 PM, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> https://github.com/peckto/gdar

"You can create a full backup of your home partition with dar by
issuning the following command: # dar -R /home/ -c /var/backup/home-$(date "+%Y%m%d")"

In this context the above example doesn't fit the definition of a
backup. While writing a script you could make a backup of myscript.sh
to myscript.sh.bak even in the same directory, but if upstream of
software provides an example to backup /home to /var I would be careful
with using such software for _real_ backups of important data. Is there
a plausible reason to assume that the software is better, than the
idiotic example?

Rather overwhelmed with all the responses.  What I am looking for is syncing not just copying, like say Dropbox does.  So the program would make an initial copy and then only add new files or changes to previously copied files.  I have tried a couple of programs mentioned but what they do is make another copy of the entire initial copy.  This is way too slow and unnecessarily stresses the drives involved.

garyk

Re: sync to external drive

Colin Law
On 30 November 2017 at 06:06, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Rather overwhelmed with all the responses.  What I am looking for is syncing
> not just copying, like say Dropbox does.  So the program would make an
> initial copy and then only add new files or changes to previously copied
> files.

Does BackInTime meet your use case?

Colin