testers wanted for knetworkmanager 0.7

Jonathan Riddell-2
Hi all, please test knetworkmanager 0.7

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/network-manager/ubuntu intrepid main

or

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/network-manager/ubuntu hardy main

As well as working with wifi it should work with wired ethernet, 3G mobile
phone modems, various VPN setups and static IP addresses.

Jonathan

Re: testers wanted for knetworkmanager 0.7

Mario Đanić
What about pptp? Does it actually work now, and sets routes properly?

KR,
M.

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 15:00, Jonathan Riddell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all, please test knetworkmanager 0.7
>
> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/network-manager/ubuntu intrepid main
>
> or
>
> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/network-manager/ubuntu hardy main
>
> As well as working with wifi it should work with wired ethernet, 3G mobile
> phone modems, various VPN setups and static IP addresses.
>
> Jonathan

Re: testers wanted for knetworkmanager 0.7

Bugzilla from news-for-emu@web.de
Nice piece of software,

I'm sitting at Technische Universität Dresden, and liked to test
NetworkManager with the local VPN over WLAN. But it seems there is no option
were I can set up a VPN through an unsecured Wireless LAN.

So how to set up a VPN thorugh NM 0.7?

When Setting up an unsecured wlan, as used at TU-Dresden with
Web-Authentication. I only can set a manual IP-Adress, the "use wireless
security" (or something named like that) is greyed out, like it should.

But when I'm trying to change the Connection afterwards, I _can_ set "wireless
security", change opitons and so on, but this leeds only to the effect, that
I can`t connect anymore.

Also I get a reproducible crash, in the described situation:
When clicking on "WEP" and I click on "Expert Options" it crashes, and gives
the attached backtrace. This happens only with "WEP", after setting it
to "WPA" or something else, and keeps running when I'm changing it back
to "WEP".

Emanuel Goscinsk (aka emu)

Am Dienstag 15 Juli 2008 15:00:48 schrieb Jonathan Riddell:

> Hi all, please test knetworkmanager 0.7
>
> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/network-manager/ubuntu intrepid main
>
> or
>
> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/network-manager/ubuntu hardy main
>
> As well as working with wifi it should work with wired ethernet, 3G mobile
> phone modems, various VPN setups and static IP addresses.
>
> Jonathan

knetworkmanager.kcrash (3K) Download Attachment

Re: testers wanted for knetworkmanager 0.7

Yuriy Kozlov-2
On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 9:00 AM, Jonathan Riddell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all, please test knetworkmanager 0.7
>
> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/network-manager/ubuntu intrepid main

The good:
- Left click and right click both open the menu. Much better!
- Wired works
- Unsecure wireless works
- can edit connections

The bad:
- still KDE3
- took two tries for unsecure wireless to connect
- secure wireless (WPA2 Enterprise, PEAP) doesn't seem to work
  - after the first 2 tries, now NetworkManager crashes
(knetworkmanager says "NetworkManager is not running") while trying to
connect to secure wireless
- doesn't autodetect EAP method (I think knetworkmanager used to do
this, or maybe PEAP was just the default which worked out nicely for
me)
- have to set up every connection, can't just pick something from the
menu right away

~ Yuriy

Re: testers wanted for knetworkmanager 0.7

Sebastian Goth

couldn't make any connection to my local wlan - it's probably caused by
NetworkManager - but could also be caused by not beeing able to specify an
accesspoint.

My setup here consists of two accesspoints with the same ESSID - one is WPA
encrypted one is not encrypted (reasons for that exist.. :/).
In `dmesg` output i could see that it tried to connect to the wrong one
sometimes. Probably it got messed up along the way..

Will try and comment again whenever I'm at a "sane" WLAN setup with only one
accesspoint just to make sure.
But imho an extra field for the accesspoint MAC won't hurt in the experts
settings anyway.
Not sure how NetworkManager works and if it supports it - but iwconfig does
(iwconfig if ap "MAC").

Generally the GUI seems quite matured compared to hardy's default one.

Keep up the good work,
Sebastian

Re: testers wanted for knetworkmanager 0.7

Jussi Schultink-2
On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 4:00 PM, Jonathan Riddell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all, please test knetworkmanager 0.7
>
> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/network-manager/ubuntu intrepid main
>
> or
>
> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/network-manager/ubuntu hardy main
>
> As well as working with wifi it should work with wired ethernet, 3G mobile
> phone modems, various VPN setups and static IP addresses.

Hei there:

I tried it, but couldnt make a connection to either my ethernet or my
wireless, except when I used a static setup. It seems it didnt like to
do dhcp at all. I have a dlink router if that makes any difference.

BR

Jussi

Bugzilla from stuffcorpse@gmail.com
Jonathan Riddell said the following on 16/07/08 01:00:

> Hi all, please test knetworkmanager 0.7
>
> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/network-manager/ubuntu intrepid main
>
> or
>
> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/network-manager/ubuntu hardy main
>
> As well as working with wifi it should work with wired ethernet, 3G mobile
> phone modems, various VPN setups and static IP addresses.
>
> Jonathan

Hi, it does not seem to detect bridge interfaces. I have bridged eth0
and eth1 to create a br0 device, which is not shown in the list.

--
  Rick

Re: testers wanted for knetworkmanager 0.7

Bugzilla from dschie@schnitzelfalle.de
Ethernet and WPA work both here on Hardy/KDE4, but vpn (atl least with
cisco/vpnc) won't. I'm able to set up the VPN-Config, but when trying to
connect, it looks like nothing happens.

in daemons.log, NetworkManager leaves this (which looks to me like NM cant
manage to get the login data from knetworkmanager):
Jul 20 23:38:45 mo NetworkManager: <info>  Starting VPN service
'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.vpnc'...
Jul 20 23:38:45 mo NetworkManager: <info>  VPN service
'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.vpnc' started
(org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.vpnc), PID 2221
Jul 20 23:38:45 mo NetworkManager: <info>  VPN service
'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.vpnc' just appeared, activating connections
Jul 20 23:38:45 mo NetworkManager: <info>  VPN service
'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.vpnc' just appeared, activating connections
Jul 20 23:38:45 mo NetworkManager: nm_vpn_connection_activate: assertion
`nm_vpn_connection_get_vpn_state (connection) ==
NM_VPN_CONNECTION_STATE_PREPARE' failed
Jul 20 23:38:45 mo NetworkManager: nm-vpn-connection.c.842: NeedSecrets
failed: dbus-glib-error-quark Method "NeedSecrets" with signature "a{sa{sv}}"
on interface "org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.VPN.Plugin" doesn't exist
Jul 20 23:38:45 mo NetworkManager: <WARN>  connection_vpn_state_changed():
Method "Disconnect" with signature "" on interface
"org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.VPN.Plugin" doesn't exist

Manuel

On Tuesday 15 July 2008 15:00:48 Jonathan Riddell wrote:

> Hi all, please test knetworkmanager 0.7
>
> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/network-manager/ubuntu intrepid main
>
> or
>
> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/network-manager/ubuntu hardy main
>
> As well as working with wifi it should work with wired ethernet, 3G mobile
> phone modems, various VPN setups and static IP addresses.
>
> Jonathan

Re: testers wanted for knetworkmanager 0.7

Celeste Lyn Paul

So not so much bug testing as UI review.  Screenshots of issues and mockups
for a solution based on the current design (read: not a major redesign, just
fixes and tweaks).

I dunno who wrote KNetworkManager 0.7, but feel free to pass it on to them.
Comments are welcome as well.

~ Celeste

--
Celeste Lyn Paul
[hidden email]

Expert-Review_KNetworkManager_Jul20.pdf (1M) Download Attachment

Re: testers wanted for knetworkmanager 0.7

Bugzilla from steveire@gmail.com
Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:

> So not so much bug testing as UI review.  Screenshots of issues and
> mockups for a solution based on the current design (read: not a major
> redesign, just fixes and tweaks).
>
> I dunno who wrote KNetworkManager 0.7, but feel free to pass it on to
> them. Comments are welcome as well.

Hi,

I haven't tested the app, but I read through the UI review. The suggested
improvements look great and make the application a lot more clear.

It strikes me as odd that the ESSID is made editable in the Edit Connection
dialog. Isn't the ESSID something of a primary unique identifier? I mean I
thought it would make more sense that the only reason to edit a ESSID would
be to configure a new connection. Would the name of the connection in the
title bar change to reflect the connection you're renaming?

Also, I see value in the filter bar in the select wireless network access
point section if there are 15 networks. It doesn't bother me too much
though, as I'm never around that many personally.

All the best,

Steve.