thunderbird

raymond house
Hello all, I have been using ubuntu for many years now and I still don't know what is the use of thunderbird.It duplicates my gmail account,is slow,and seems complicated.I have been trying once more to use it and it just seems to be a duplication of gmail (or any other mail service).I'm probably missing something here but after many bouts with it I still don't get it.I am wondering why it is always on all the new distros? I suppose some people like it, I don't.This is one of the rare things that bug me about ubuntu, because I would never use any other OS.Thanks.

Re: thunderbird

Stephen M. Webb-4
On 2017-03-15 11:36 AM, Raymond House wrote:
> Hello all, I have been using ubuntu for many years now and I still don't know what is the use of thunderbird.It
> duplicates my gmail account,is slow,and seems complicated.I have been trying once more to use it and it just seems to be
> a duplication of gmail (or any other mail service).I'm probably missing something here but after many bouts with it I
> still don't get it.I am wondering why it is always on all the new distros? I suppose some people like it, I don't.This
> is one of the rare things that bug me about ubuntu, because I would never use any other OS.Thanks.

I use a local mail user agent (MUA), in my case Thunderbird these days but I've used a few over the years, because
webmail in a browser window does not come close to serving my needs.

(1) I have several email accounts, I want to be able to track all my email on one screen. A gmail web page will only
allow me to read email sent to my gmail account, unless I use several different web browser tabs, one for each account,
and redirect all my mail through the Google data-mining servers and the CIA, NSA, and who knows what or else use the
different default webmail clients for each email account.

(2) I travel not infrequently, and often need to get at my email offline.  I can not do that since webmail clients do
not work offline, but a local MUA lets me do that.

(3) I get many dozens, sometimes hundreds of emails every day and I need to automatically sort them into various folders
based on header tags. Gmail does not support any of that, just the ability to tag messages based on sender or subject
regex matches.  A local MUA lets me do that.

(4) I click on an email message and read it instantly.  Using a browser, it grinds and spins and makes dozens of round
trips to pull CSS and Javascript and multiple tracker pixels for each message and takes forever to render a new page. It
would take me hours to grind through the 30 or 40 important messages that greet me first thing every morning if I had to
use webmail. Ain't nobody got time for that.

(5) Using a browser-based text editor is a wretched experience on a sketchy internet connection.  This is the 21st
century, text editors should be able to keep up with two-finger hunt-and-peck typing.

Having a local MUA by default on a desktop is like having a local text editor, local spreadsheets, local drawing
programs, local photo editing, local games, local anything you can get as an online service with a web interface.  You
get more control of your data, better response times, and offline mode.

Honestly, I don't see why anyone would use webmail in a browser instead of a local MUA.

--
Stephen M. Webb  <[hidden email]>

Re: thunderbird

CrankyOldBugger
I use Thunderbird quite a lot, myself.  It's all about choice in Linux!

For me, I use it much as I am forced to use Outlook at work: for email and calendar.  I used to be a heavy Outlook user at home back in the day, but of course we have better alternatives now..

One thing I do like about Thunderbird, I can have all of my email accounts together, and subsequently move messages that I like to store away into shared folders.  For example, anything from this forum will get moved from my gmail account to my outlook account for storage.  At some point in the future I'll take all of the emails in storage and dump them to my local HDD for archiving (the whole process is done from inside Thunderbird).

As well, I use the calendar and tasks list add-ons in Thunderbird so I can show some signs of being organized, although I don't think it's fooling anyone....

But.. if you don't see the need for T-bird on your computer, go ahead and either ignore it, or remove it if you need the space.  It's all about choice.

On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 at 11:37 Raymond House <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all, I have been using ubuntu for many years now and I still don't know what is the use of thunderbird.It duplicates my gmail account,is slow,and seems complicated.I have been trying once more to use it and it just seems to be a duplication of gmail (or any other mail service).I'm probably missing something here but after many bouts with it I still don't get it.I am wondering why it is always on all the new distros? I suppose some people like it, I don't.This is one of the rare things that bug me about ubuntu, because I would never use any other OS.Thanks.

Re: thunderbird

raymond house
AH, I see it's use for you guys that have such a volume of mail!
 This is the first time I get an explanation that makes sense.Ok, as cranky says it's all about choice, thanks. I'll look up info on MUA's.

On 2017-03-15 11:36 AM, Raymond House wrote:
> Hello all, I have been using ubuntu for many years now and I still don't know what is the use of thunderbird.It
> duplicates my gmail account,is slow,and seems complicated.I have been trying once more to use it and it just seems to be
> a duplication of gmail (or any other mail service).I'm probably missing something here but after many bouts with it I
> still don't get it.I am wondering why it is always on all the new distros? I suppose some people like it, I don't.This
> is one of the rare things that bug me about ubuntu, because I would never use any other OS.Thanks.

I use a local mail user agent (MUA), in my case Thunderbird these days but I've used a few over the years, because
webmail in a browser window does not come close to serving my needs.

(1) I have several email accounts, I want to be able to track all my email on one screen. A gmail web page will only
allow me to read email sent to my gmail account, unless I use several different web browser tabs, one for each account,
and redirect all my mail through the Google data-mining servers and the CIA, NSA, and who knows what or else use the
different default webmail clients for each email account.

(2) I travel not infrequently, and often need to get at my email offline.  I can not do that since webmail clients do
not work offline, but a local MUA lets me do that.

(3) I get many dozens, sometimes hundreds of emails every day and I need to automatically sort them into various folders
based on header tags. Gmail does not support any of that, just the ability to tag messages based on sender or subject
regex matches.  A local MUA lets me do that.

(4) I click on an email message and read it instantly.  Using a browser, it grinds and spins and makes dozens of round
trips to pull CSS and Javascript and multiple tracker pixels for each message and takes forever to render a new page. It
would take me hours to grind through the 30 or 40 important messages that greet me first thing every morning if I had to
use webmail. Ain't nobody got time for that.

(5) Using a browser-based text editor is a wretched experience on a sketchy internet connection.  This is the 21st
century, text editors should be able to keep up with two-finger hunt-and-peck typing.

Having a local MUA by default on a desktop is like having a local text editor, local spreadsheets, local drawing
programs, local photo editing, local games, local anything you can get as an online service with a web interface.  You
get more control of your data, better response times, and offline mode.

Honestly, I don't see why anyone would use webmail in a browser instead of a local MUA.

--
Stephen M. Webb  <[hidden email]>

Re: thunderbird

Bob Jonkman

Hi Raymond: Not all e-mail accounts have a Web interface. The big
companies like Google and Yahoo and Microsoft have Web interfaces, but
there are many mail providers that don't have Web interfaces, and
there are many of us who use those other mail providers (such as your
own ISP, or your own self-hosted mail server) because we want to keep
our e-mail off the big (advertising, surveillance) companies like
Google and Yahoo and Microsoft.

E-mail is a different service than the World Wide Web, and so uses
mail client software that's dedicated to the task. Thunderbird is one
example of a "Mail User Agent (MUA)" or mail client; Claws and
Evolution are others.

Using an MUA actually gives you far more control over your e-mail. You
can choose to download it to your own computer (or keep it on the
server); you can access many different mail accounts from different
providers, all at the same time; you can easily add encryption plugins
to secure your mail; and best of all, you can set up your mail client
so it works as you want it to, not the way Google or Yahoo or
Microsoft tells you.

If you're using only one mail account from only one big provider you
may not need the multiple accounts features, but you can still use an
MUA to get the other benefits.

Remember that when you use a "free" service like Google or Yahoo or
Microsoft, those services are selling *you* to their advertisers. Your
mail is read by their 'bots, the better to find your what you like,
where you live, who you know, and even when you sleep and how long.
But using a mail client to connect to a mail service you trust will
put you in control over your own data.

- --Bob.

On 2017-03-15 11:36 AM, Raymond House wrote:

> Hello all, I have been using ubuntu for many years now and I still
> don't know what is the use of thunderbird.It duplicates my gmail
> account,is slow,and seems complicated.I have been trying once more
> to use it and it just seems to be a duplication of gmail (or any
> other mail service).I'm probably missing something here but after
> many bouts with it I still don't get it.I am wondering why it is
> always on all the new distros? I suppose some people like it, I
> don't.This is one of the rare things that bug me about ubuntu,
> because I would never use any other OS.Thanks.

- --

- --
Bob Jonkman <[hidden email]>          Phone: +1-519-635-9413
SOBAC Microcomputer Services             http://sobac.com/sobac/
Software   ---   Office & Business Automation   ---   Consulting

On 2017-03-15 11:36 AM, Raymond House wrote:
> Hello all, I have been using ubuntu for many years now and I still
> don't know what is the use of thunderbird.It duplicates my gmail
> account,is slow,and seems complicated.I have been trying once more
> to use it and it just seems to be a duplication of gmail (or any
> other mail service).I'm probably missing something here but after
> many bouts with it I still don't get it.I am wondering why it is
> always on all the new distros? I suppose some people like it, I
> don't.This is one of the rare things that bug me about ubuntu,
> because I would never use any other OS.Thanks.

- --

- --
Bob Jonkman <[hidden email]>          Phone: <a href="tel:%2B1-519-635-9413" value="+15196359413">+1-519-635-9413
SOBAC Microcomputer Services             http://sobac.com/sobac/
Software   ---   Office & Business Automation   ---   Consulting

Re: thunderbird

CrankyOldBugger
You would tell Thunderbird your gmail account info, like name and address, and it will take it from there.  It's actually a fairly simple process, just answer a few questions, if I recall correctly.  Then if you want to send or read an email you do it right from t-bird, instead of a web browser.

If you do get asked, you probably want IMAP instead of POP,  I would assume....

Adding the calendar and tasks list is a bit more complicated, though.  You have to load add-ons which have dependencies on other add-ons, etc.

On 2017-03-15 11:36 AM, Raymond House wrote:
> Hello all, I have been using ubuntu for many years now and I still
> don't know what is the use of thunderbird.It duplicates my gmail
> account,is slow,and seems complicated.I have been trying once more
> to use it and it just seems to be a duplication of gmail (or any
> other mail service).I'm probably missing something here but after
> many bouts with it I still don't get it.I am wondering why it is
> always on all the new distros? I suppose some people like it, I
> don't.This is one of the rare things that bug me about ubuntu,
> because I would never use any other OS.Thanks.

- --

- --
Bob Jonkman <[hidden email]>          Phone: <a href="tel:%2B1-519-635-9413" value="+15196359413" class="gmail_msg" target="_blank">+1-519-635-9413

On 2017-03-15 11:36 AM, Raymond House wrote:
> Hello all, I have been using ubuntu for many years now and I still
> don't know what is the use of thunderbird.It duplicates my gmail
> account,is slow,and seems complicated.I have been trying once more
> to use it and it just seems to be a duplication of gmail (or any
> other mail service).I'm probably missing something here but after
> many bouts with it I still don't get it.I am wondering why it is
> always on all the new distros? I suppose some people like it, I
> don't.This is one of the rare things that bug me about ubuntu,
> because I would never use any other OS.Thanks.

- --

- --
Bob Jonkman <[hidden email]>          Phone: <a href="tel:%2B1-519-635-9413" value="+15196359413" target="_blank">+1-519-635-9413

On 2017-03-15 11:36 AM, Raymond House wrote:
> Hello all, I have been using ubuntu for many years now and I still
> don't know what is the use of thunderbird.It duplicates my gmail
> account,is slow,and seems complicated.I have been trying once more
> to use it and it just seems to be a duplication of gmail (or any
> other mail service).I'm probably missing something here but after
> many bouts with it I still don't get it.I am wondering why it is
> always on all the new distros? I suppose some people like it, I
> don't.This is one of the rare things that bug me about ubuntu,
> because I would never use any other OS.Thanks.

- --

- --
Bob Jonkman <[hidden email]>          Phone: <a href="tel:%2B1-519-635-9413" value="+15196359413" class="m_-6590910194619181334gmail_msg" target="_blank">+1-519-635-9413

On 2017-03-15 11:36 AM, Raymond House wrote:
> Hello all, I have been using ubuntu for many years now and I still
> don't know what is the use of thunderbird.It duplicates my gmail
> account,is slow,and seems complicated.I have been trying once more
> to use it and it just seems to be a duplication of gmail (or any
> other mail service).I'm probably missing something here but after
> many bouts with it I still don't get it.I am wondering why it is
> always on all the new distros? I suppose some people like it, I
> don't.This is one of the rare things that bug me about ubuntu,
> because I would never use any other OS.Thanks.

- --

- --
Bob Jonkman <[hidden email]>          Phone: <a href="tel:%2B1-519-635-9413" value="+15196359413" class="m_-2096570190875717234gmail_msg" target="_blank">+1-519-635-9413

On 2017-03-15 12:39 PM, Raymond House wrote:
> Hi Bob, thanks for the explanation, I have read this before and I like the idea but How do I go about setting this up?
> If I send an email using Thunderbird does it not go through gmail anyway?This is the part I don't understand.

If you're using Google as your email provider, yes, it will go through Google.

When you send mail, it goes through a mail transfer agent (MTA), usually using SMTP (simple mail transfer protocol). A
network of MTas talk to each other over the internet to send and receive mail just like the post office does.
Eventually your email wil end up on another machine somewhere designated as the mail deliver agent (MDA), where it waits
for you to retrieve it and read it.  MDAs usually provide either POP3 (post office protocol version 3) or IMAP (internet
mail access protocol) to let you pick up your messages.
Your mail user agent (MUA) is what lets you read your email, and that could be Thunderbird or an online webmail service
you use through a browser.

When you're using a gmail address, Google is providing three services for you.

(1) an identity (your gmail address), used to authentication and authorization

(2) an MTA used to send email

(3) an MDA, used to receive email

optionally, they provide a webmail MUA so you can read email.

If you want to set up Thunderbird [1] as your MUA instead, you need to configure your account to use your gmail
identity, use the google SMTP server as your MTA, and use the google POP3 or (preferably) IMAP server as your MDA.
Then, your mail starts appearing in the message pane and you can reply.

[1] https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Set-up-email/Thunderbird-and-Gmail/ta-p/14181

--
Stephen M. Webb  <[hidden email]>

On 2017-03-15 11:36 AM, Raymond House wrote:
> Hello all, I have been using ubuntu for many years now and I still
> don't know what is the use of thunderbird.It duplicates my gmail
> account,is slow,and seems complicated.I have been trying once more
> to use it and it just seems to be a duplication of gmail (or any
> other mail service).I'm probably missing something here but after
> many bouts with it I still don't get it.I am wondering why it is
> always on all the new distros? I suppose some people like it, I
> don't.This is one of the rare things that bug me about ubuntu,
> because I would never use any other OS.Thanks.

- --

- --
Bob Jonkman <[hidden email]>          Phone: <a href="tel:%2B1-519-635-9413" value="+15196359413" class="m_1209684493776100466m_-2096570190875717234gmail_msg" target="_blank">+1-519-635-9413
SOBAC Microcomputer Services             http://sobac.com/sobac/
Software   ---   Office & Business Automation   ---   Consulting

Re: thunderbird

Bob Jonkman

Hi Raymond: I use Thunderbird (actually Icedove) with my mail server,
sobac.com, so my mail only goes to gmail if I send it to someone with
an @gmail.com address. If I send to someone else @sobac.com the mail
never even leaves my server.

Yes, you can set up Thunderbird to use gmail, and that will go a long
way to giving you more control over your own mail. That's actually a
good first step, because if you decide you don't like Thunderbird
after all then you can go right back to using the Web interface and
nothing has changed.

Switching your e-mail to another service provider (like @teksavvy.com
or @mailfence.com) is a bit more involved.  Since gmail allows IMAP
access you can use Thunderbird to see your folders on the gmail
server, and just copy the entire mailbox to another provider using
Thunderbird (or a utility like imapcopy). Unfortunately, some mail
services like Yahoo don't provide IMAP access, so you can't use your
own MUA with Yahoo mail (nor imapcopy), so it becomes much more
difficult to transfer your mail to another provider.

https://mailfence.com/ offers secure e-mail with access through IMAP
and SMTP (I haven't used it, so I can't give a recommendation).
ProtonMail and Tutanota are two other popular secure e-mail providers,
but they don't offer IMAP+SMTP access.

For those people using Rogers as their ISP, you should know that
they're using Yahoo mail. Yahoo is one of the worst mail providers out
there -- it's not compatible with most mailing list software, and has
unknown anti-spam rules so that people with @yahoo.com addresses don't
even know they're not getting all their mail.

- --Bob

imapcopy:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=all&section=all&arch=any&keywords=imapcopy&searchon=all

On 2017-03-15 12:39 PM, Raymond House wrote:

> Hi Bob, thanks for the explanation, I have read this before and I
> like the idea but How do I go about setting this up? If I send an
> email using Thunderbird does it not go through gmail anyway?This is
> the part I don't understand.
>

> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 12:25 PM, Bob Jonkman <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> Hi Raymond: Not all e-mail accounts have a Web interface. The big
> companies like Google and Yahoo and Microsoft have Web interfaces,
> but there are many mail providers that don't have Web interfaces,
> and there are many of us who use those other mail providers (such
> as your own ISP, or your own self-hosted mail server) because we
> want to keep our e-mail off the big (advertising, surveillance)
> companies like Google and Yahoo and Microsoft.
>
> E-mail is a different service than the World Wide Web, and so uses
> mail client software that's dedicated to the task. Thunderbird is
> one example of a "Mail User Agent (MUA)" or mail client; Claws and
> Evolution are others.
>
> Using an MUA actually gives you far more control over your e-mail.
> You can choose to download it to your own computer (or keep it on
> the server); you can access many different mail accounts from
> different providers, all at the same time; you can easily add
> encryption plugins to secure your mail; and best of all, you can
> set up your mail client so it works as you want it to, not the way
> Google or Yahoo or Microsoft tells you.
>
> If you're using only one mail account from only one big provider
> you may not need the multiple accounts features, but you can still
> use an MUA to get the other benefits.
>
> Remember that when you use a "free" service like Google or Yahoo
> or Microsoft, those services are selling *you* to their
> advertisers. Your mail is read by their 'bots, the better to find
> your what you like, where you live, who you know, and even when you
> sleep and how long. But using a mail client to connect to a mail
> service you trust will put you in control over your own data.
>
> --Bob.

>> -- ubuntu-ca mailing list [hidden email]

- --

- --
Bob Jonkman <[hidden email]>          Phone: +1-519-635-9413
SOBAC Microcomputer Services             http://sobac.com/sobac/
Software   ---   Office & Business Automation   ---   Consulting

Re: thunderbird

raymond house
Stephen, let me get this straight, if the messages go though gmail anyway why is this different than using gmail? I looked up Wiki and the explanation there is what you tell me using MTA,s and MDA,s.

On 2017-03-15 12:39 PM, Raymond House wrote:
> Hi Bob, thanks for the explanation, I have read this before and I like the idea but How do I go about setting this up?
> If I send an email using Thunderbird does it not go through gmail anyway?This is the part I don't understand.

If you're using Google as your email provider, yes, it will go through Google.

When you send mail, it goes through a mail transfer agent (MTA), usually using SMTP (simple mail transfer protocol). A
network of MTas talk to each other over the internet to send and receive mail just like the post office does.
Eventually your email wil end up on another machine somewhere designated as the mail deliver agent (MDA), where it waits
for you to retrieve it and read it.  MDAs usually provide either POP3 (post office protocol version 3) or IMAP (internet
mail access protocol) to let you pick up your messages.
Your mail user agent (MUA) is what lets you read your email, and that could be Thunderbird or an online webmail service
you use through a browser.

When you're using a gmail address, Google is providing three services for you.

(1) an identity (your gmail address), used to authentication and authorization

(2) an MTA used to send email

(3) an MDA, used to receive email

optionally, they provide a webmail MUA so you can read email.

If you want to set up Thunderbird [1] as your MUA instead, you need to configure your account to use your gmail
identity, use the google SMTP server as your MTA, and use the google POP3 or (preferably) IMAP server as your MDA.
Then, your mail starts appearing in the message pane and you can reply.

[1] https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Set-up-email/Thunderbird-and-Gmail/ta-p/14181

--
Stephen M. Webb  <[hidden email]>

Re: thunderbird

Darcy Casselman
GMail was a freaking miracle when it appeared in 2004. There'd never been anything like it on the web before that. Thunderbird, and programs like it, are a bit older. For most people, they might be obsolete.

I still use Thunderbird, particularly for work. I did use it with GMail for years, just because I liked having a local copy of my email. I don't do this anymore.

There's something to be said for not giving all my personal correspondence to a company like Google (tho I do anyway). But if you don't mind that and GMail's working for you, then there probably isn't a good reason to use Thunderbird.

Darcy.

On 2017-03-15 01:05 PM, Raymond House wrote:
> Stephen, let me get this straight, if the messages go though gmail anyway why is this different than using gmail? I
> looked up Wiki and the explanation there is what you tell me using MTA,s and MDA,s.

You would still be using Google servers as your MTA and MDA. You would still be using your Google identity (your gmail
address). The only difference is you would be using a local MUA instead of an online webmail MUA.

If you only have one single email account and you don't have a large volume of mail or a need for offline access, then
your choice of using a local MUA or a webmail reader is purely a matter of taste more than anything.

--
Stephen M. Webb  <[hidden email]>

On 2017-03-15 12:39 PM, Raymond House wrote:
> Hi Bob, thanks for the explanation, I have read this before and I like the idea but How do I go about setting this up?
> If I send an email using Thunderbird does it not go through gmail anyway?This is the part I don't understand.

If you're using Google as your email provider, yes, it will go through Google.

When you send mail, it goes through a mail transfer agent (MTA), usually using SMTP (simple mail transfer protocol). A
network of MTas talk to each other over the internet to send and receive mail just like the post office does.
Eventually your email wil end up on another machine somewhere designated as the mail deliver agent (MDA), where it waits
for you to retrieve it and read it.  MDAs usually provide either POP3 (post office protocol version 3) or IMAP (internet
mail access protocol) to let you pick up your messages.
Your mail user agent (MUA) is what lets you read your email, and that could be Thunderbird or an online webmail service
you use through a browser.

When you're using a gmail address, Google is providing three services for you.

(1) an identity (your gmail address), used to authentication and authorization

(2) an MTA used to send email

(3) an MDA, used to receive email

optionally, they provide a webmail MUA so you can read email.

If you want to set up Thunderbird [1] as your MUA instead, you need to configure your account to use your gmail
identity, use the google SMTP server as your MTA, and use the google POP3 or (preferably) IMAP server as your MDA.
Then, your mail starts appearing in the message pane and you can reply.

[1] https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Set-up-email/Thunderbird-and-Gmail/ta-p/14181

--
Stephen M. Webb  <[hidden email]>

Re: thunderbird

edit/corection:

ext tie *maybe* do you own homework, im sure it's written in a  guide, on how to be decent.  Sometimes we all make mistakes tho.  anyhow, best wishes, farewell.

sorry i was rude, have a nice day.

On 2017-03-15 12:39 PM, Raymond House wrote:
> Hi Bob, thanks for the explanation, I have read this before and I like the idea but How do I go about setting this up?
> If I send an email using Thunderbird does it not go through gmail anyway?This is the part I don't understand.

If you're using Google as your email provider, yes, it will go through Google.

When you send mail, it goes through a mail transfer agent (MTA), usually using SMTP (simple mail transfer protocol). A
network of MTas talk to each other over the internet to send and receive mail just like the post office does.
Eventually your email wil end up on another machine somewhere designated as the mail deliver agent (MDA), where it waits
for you to retrieve it and read it.  MDAs usually provide either POP3 (post office protocol version 3) or IMAP (internet
mail access protocol) to let you pick up your messages.
Your mail user agent (MUA) is what lets you read your email, and that could be Thunderbird or an online webmail service
you use through a browser.

When you're using a gmail address, Google is providing three services for you.

(1) an identity (your gmail address), used to authentication and authorization

(2) an MTA used to send email

(3) an MDA, used to receive email

optionally, they provide a webmail MUA so you can read email.

If you want to set up Thunderbird [1] as your MUA instead, you need to configure your account to use your gmail
identity, use the google SMTP server as your MTA, and use the google POP3 or (preferably) IMAP server as your MDA.
Then, your mail starts appearing in the message pane and you can reply.

[1] https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Set-up-email/Thunderbird-and-Gmail/ta-p/14181

--
Stephen M. Webb  <[hidden email]>

Re: thunderbird

Well firstly, im pretty sure you can schedule when to download emails, and with desktop integration, you can get notifications, through one channel, whenever any one of your email accounts, even your own server email accounts get a message.

And some people prefer to avoid using google services unnecessarily.  It's basically the good thing to do, using gmail probably isnt, i figure. Also, when you download a local copy, it's more efficient to retirve it locally, for the vast majority, i shold then, than contastnalyty accessing the cloud for repeat requests for the same data, is just environmentally irresponsible, too,.  basically, using gmail, is probably dumb, so a good option exists, and probably it's used, there ya go. next time *maybe* do you own homework, im sure it's written in a  guide, on how to be decent.  Sometimes we all make mistakes tho.  anyhow, best wishes, farewell.