ubuntu-16.04 window manage stopped working.

ubuntu-16.04 window manage stopped working.

Josef Wolf
Hello,

today, I rebooted this box after an uptime of about three weeks. After this
reboot, the window manager stopped working.

- No dash
- no menu bar
- the only thung I can do is to right-click onto the desktop and start
  "Terminal" from the context menu.
- no window decorations
- windows are created in the upper left corner
- no window switching via <Alt>-<TAB>

I have never ever tweaked anything on my desktop. So I guess, it is
Unity/Compiz what I am using.

So how can I track down why it stopped working?

How can I select a different desktop environment to get the system into a
usable state?

Thanks in Advance!

--
Josef Wolf

Re: ubuntu-16.04 window manage stopped working.

Liam Proven
On Mon, 4 Nov 2019 at 11:25, Josef Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> today, I rebooted this box after an uptime of about three weeks. After this
> reboot, the window manager stopped working.
>
> - No dash
> - no menu bar
> - the only thung I can do is to right-click onto the desktop and start
>   "Terminal" from the context menu.
> - no window decorations
> - windows are created in the upper left corner
> - no window switching via <Alt>-<TAB>
>
> I have never ever tweaked anything on my desktop. So I guess, it is
> Unity/Compiz what I am using.
>
> So how can I track down why it stopped working?
>
> How can I select a different desktop environment to get the system into a
> usable state?

Well, I am not sure, but here are my first thoughts:

* Unity needs working OpenGL. Something may have knocked that out.

Stuff to try:

* If you can get a terminal, then you can update, right? So do that:

sudo -s
apt update
apt dist-upgrade -y
apt clean
apt autoremove
apt purge
shutdown -r now

* If that does not help at all, try starting with the kernel parameter
``nomodeset'' in case there are kernel graphics driver problems.
Google for info, it's a little involved and there are better
explanations than I can improvise in an email.

Re: ubuntu-16.04 window manage stopped working.

ubuntu-users mailing list
04 November 2019  at 12:04, Liam Proven wrote:
Re: ubuntu-16.04 window manage stop (at least in part)

>On Mon, 4 Nov 2019 at 11:25, Josef Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> today, I rebooted this box after an uptime of about three weeks. After this
>> reboot, the window manager stopped working.

<snip>

>* If that does not help at all, try starting with the kernel parameter
>``nomodeset'' in case there are kernel graphics driver problems.
>Google for info, it's a little involved and there are better
>explanations than I can improvise in an email.

IIRC you can test nomodeset by starting from the grub menu adavanced option (it
defaults to nomodeset?)

On Mon, Nov 04, 2019 at 12:04:16PM +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Nov 2019 at 11:25, Josef Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > today, I rebooted this box after an uptime of about three weeks. After this
> > reboot, the window manager stopped working.
> >
> > - No dash
> > - no menu bar
> > - the only thung I can do is to right-click onto the desktop and start
> >   "Terminal" from the context menu.
> > - no window decorations
> > - windows are created in the upper left corner
> > - no window switching via <Alt>-<TAB>
> >
> > I have never ever tweaked anything on my desktop. So I guess, it is
> > Unity/Compiz what I am using.
> >
> > So how can I track down why it stopped working?
> >
> > How can I select a different desktop environment to get the system into a
> > usable state?
>
> Well, I am not sure, but here are my first thoughts:
>
> * Unity needs working OpenGL. Something may have knocked that out.

Hmm, how do I check this?

> Stuff to try:
>
> * If you can get a terminal, then you can update, right? So do that:

running apt update/upgrade was one of the first things I did.

> sudo -s
> apt update
> apt dist-upgrade -y

Hmmm... Usually, I am somewhat reluctant to dist-upgrade

> * If that does not help at all, try starting with the kernel parameter
> ``nomodeset'' in case there are kernel graphics driver problems.

With nomodeset, the system crashes when switching to graphical login.

Then I tried to

  apt install kubuntu-desktop

No I get this:

You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these.
 kde-telepathy-minimal : Depends: kde-config-telepathy-accounts (>= 15.04.0)
 but it is not installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

root@bu201:/m/b/home/jw# LANG= apt-get -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  kde-config-telepathy-accounts
  kde-config-telepathy-accounts
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
416 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/137 kB of archives.
After this operation, 825 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
(Reading database ... 637173 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack
.../kde-config-telepathy-accounts_4%3a15.12.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking kde-config-telepathy-accounts (4:15.12.3-0ubuntu1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive
/var/cache/apt/archives/kde-config-telepathy-accounts_4%3a15.12.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
(--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/share/accounts/services/google-im.service', which
 is also in package account-plugin-google 0.12+16.04.20160126-0ubuntu1
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.23-0ubuntu11) ...
 /var/cache/apt/archives/kde-config-telepathy-accounts_4%3a15.12.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
root@bu201:/m/b/home/jw#

Now I select KDE, but instead of getting a desktop, when I log in, I get the
iunitial wallpaper and after a while the screen is turnde to black. Only mouse
pointer. Nothing else is displayed and nothing can be selected/clicked.

I guess I'll go try "dist-upgrade".

--
Josef Wolf

Re: ubuntu-16.04 window manage stopped working.

Colin Law
On Mon, 4 Nov 2019 at 12:32, Josef Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmmm... Usually, I am somewhat reluctant to dist-upgrade

apt-get dist-upgrade (which is (approx?) the same as apt full-upgrade)
does not upgrade you to the next ubuntu version, it just makes sure
everything is fully upgraded.

I suggest making a new user (which you can easily do via the command
line) and try logging into the UI using that user.  I also make a
'test' user when I install a system, it can be useful to determine
whether it is something about the user's profile that is the problem
or something more fundamental wrong with the system.
Having said that though I am not clear whether the problem you see is
before or after logging on. Have you got auto-logon enabled?

Colin

Colin

On Mon, Nov 04, 2019 at 10:11:50PM +0000, Colin Law wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Nov 2019 at 12:32, Josef Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hmmm... Usually, I am somewhat reluctant to dist-upgrade
>
> apt-get dist-upgrade (which is (approx?) the same as apt full-upgrade)
> does not upgrade you to the next ubuntu version, it just makes sure
> everything is fully upgraded.

OK. Good to know. The term is a bit misleading, though ;-)

But dist-upgrade could not fix the problem, either. I had to manually

  dpkg --force-overwrite /var/cache/.....
  apt -f install

to get it working again.

Now I am able to at least use KDE.

> I suggest making a new user (which you can easily do via the command
> line) and try logging into the UI using that user.  I also make a
> 'test' user when I install a system, it can be useful to determine
> whether it is something about the user's profile that is the problem
> or something more fundamental wrong with the system.

I tried with a user which I created while the system was installed and a
user freshly created with useradd. Bith won't be able to log into the
compiz/unity desktop. Same symptoms.

> Having said that though I am not clear whether the problem you see is
> before or after logging on.

When logging on, the login screen (where you type the password)
disappears. Only the wallpaper remain. Then, desktop-icons appear. Nothing
elese happens. When I right-click onto the desktop, a context menu appears,
where I can start a terminal. The terminal window appears in the upper left
corner of the screen. There are no decorations to resize/move/close this
window.

> Have you got auto-logon enabled?

I always disable auto-login.

On Tue, 5 Nov 2019 at 08:03, Josef Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 04, 2019 at 10:11:50PM +0000, Colin Law wrote:
> > On Mon, 4 Nov 2019 at 12:32, Josef Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hmmm... Usually, I am somewhat reluctant to dist-upgrade
> >
> > apt-get dist-upgrade (which is (approx?) the same as apt full-upgrade)
> > does not upgrade you to the next ubuntu version, it just makes sure
> > everything is fully upgraded.
>
> OK. Good to know. The term is a bit misleading, though ;-)

That is, I guess, the reason it has been changed to full-upgrade with
the more recent apt command, which you can use instead of apt-get.

Colin

On Mon, 4 Nov 2019 at 13:32, Josef Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmmm... Usually, I am somewhat reluctant to dist-upgrade

In that case you are updating your *buntu/Debian machines incorrectly.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/194651/why-use-apt-get-upgrade-instead-of-apt-get-dist-upgrade

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2267752