ubuntu: best screen+sound recorde

Roger

>guys:
>what is the best screen(with sound) recorder available in linux/ubuntu
>today?
>years ago I used webex recorder and it's really small/powerful and stable,
>but seems only for windows.

> I have used GtkRecordMyDesktop and quite like it.
I used RecordMyDesktop to create 55 tutorials for our web system both in
Ubuntu 12.04 and Fedora 16 with great success.
Some hints.
--Make your recording window about 2/3 or even half screen size so you
have desktop showing. This will be the size of the final recording.
There are other ways to set screen size but this for me was the easiest.
--Set your save directory, via the [Advanced] [files] [working
Directory] button,  before you record.
--Put all recordings into a purpose made directory so you don't have to
go looking for them. You may make a few versions of a recording and
choose between.
--The Pause recording facility puts a popup on the desktop and this can
appear on top of your recording window, it looks crap in the final video
so make sure that after leaving the desktop space that it appears to the
side of your recording window.
-- If you don't need pristine quality, set the sound and video quality
to between 75% and 80% instead of 100 %, file size is very much smaller.
-- It saves as ogv with quite small file size. Windows machines don't
natively read ogg or ogv. To convert to avi makes the file size 5 times
larger. Some of my video tuts went from 9.5 meg to 52 meg after conversion.
-- Use Pause often, but be wary that Stop and Pause are close together
and if you accidentally Stop, it will automatically start the render and
you have to wait or kill and lose your recording render.
--After a bit of practice I recorded most of my tutorials in one go, 5
had to be remade a few times due to complication. This was easier than
using a video editor. I could do several recordings in an afternoon,
test and play them then download and link on the web site. Very neat.

Roger

Re: ubuntu: best screen+sound recorde

ping

On 11/24/2012 05:57 PM, Roger wrote:

>> guys:
>> what is the best screen(with sound) recorder available in linux/ubuntu
>> today?
>> years ago I used webex recorder and it's really small/powerful and
>> stable,
>> but seems only for windows.
>
>> I have used GtkRecordMyDesktop and quite like it.
> I used RecordMyDesktop to create 55 tutorials for our web system both
> in Ubuntu 12.04 and Fedora 16 with great success.
> Some hints.
> --Make your recording window about 2/3 or even half screen size so you
> have desktop showing. This will be the size of the final recording.
> There are other ways to set screen size but this for me was the easiest.
> --Set your save directory, via the [Advanced] [files] [working
> Directory] button,  before you record.
> --Put all recordings into a purpose made directory so you don't have
> to go looking for them. You may make a few versions of a recording and
> choose between.
> --The Pause recording facility puts a popup on the desktop and this
> can appear on top of your recording window, it looks crap in the final
> video so make sure that after leaving the desktop space that it
> appears to the side of your recording window.
> -- If you don't need pristine quality, set the sound and video quality
> to between 75% and 80% instead of 100 %, file size is very much smaller.
> -- It saves as ogv with quite small file size. Windows machines don't
> natively read ogg or ogv. To convert to avi makes the file size 5
> times larger. Some of my video tuts went from 9.5 meg to 52 meg after
> conversion.
> -- Use Pause often, but be wary that Stop and Pause are close together
> and if you accidentally Stop, it will automatically start the render
> and you have to wait or kill and lose your recording render.
> --After a bit of practice I recorded most of my tutorials in one go, 5
> had to be remade a few times due to complication. This was easier than
> using a video editor. I could do several recordings in an afternoon,
> test and play them then download and link on the web site. Very neat.

> Roger

thanks for the sharing of your usage.
that is probably the best I thought, but one issue annoyed me is it
seems have problem to record the internal sound. what I mean is if you
are enjoying a streamed song and chatting with someone online, it's hard
to record those sound you received from the network -- your own sound or
any "external" sound is well recorded, not sure you have the same issue
or not?