ubuntu: destroy a huge binary file and make it non-readable.

Re: ubuntu: destroy a huge binary file and make it non-readable.

Johnny Rosenberg
2014-01-26 Nils Kassube <[hidden email]>
Nandakumar wrote:
> Gopanam works in a different way. An 'a' will not be and 'e' always,
> so the knowledge of incidents of alphabets in a language won't be
> sufficient to decrypt the data.
>
> For example
>
> Hello, World!
> changes to
> ©ØßãÞž„ÇÐåßÛ |
>
> with the key 'password'
>
> Note that the consecutive 'l's are not encrypted to same.

Right, that's what I would expect from a real encryption program. My
expample of the Caesar cipher was used because that is something one can
understand even without a computer. And of course this simple program
would only work with text, not with data.

And only with English text… [a-zA-z].

> > OK, I understand. But I think even a simple cipher technique will be
> > enough for BINARY files.

That depends - if the original data are e.g. construction details of a
brand new machine which should be used for a patent application, someone
finding the data might have incentive enough to pay a cryptographer to
decrypt the encrypted file.

> > (As a fun, I'll change the statement 'even the developer can't' to
> > 'the developer can't' since I'm not so smarter to decrypt ;) But
> > I'll
> > try to become smarter!)

:)

Nils

Re: ubuntu: destroy a huge binary file and make it non-readable.

Nils Kassube-2
Liam Proven wrote:
> *and* you are also top quoting.

Considering that recently so many people are top-posting, could it be
that top-posting is the new standard and the technical guidelines of
<http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community/mailing-lists> are obsolete?
Then please someone tell us where the new guidelines can be found.

Nils

Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> 2014-01-26 Nils Kassube <[hidden email]>
> > My
> > expample of the Caesar cipher was used because that is something one
> > can understand even without a computer. And of course this simple
> > program would only work with text, not with data.
>
> And only with English text… [a-zA-z].

I think one could use something like this which would include your
Swedish special characters: "ghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzåäöabcdef". That would
be nearly unbreakable :)

Nils

Re: ubuntu: destroy a huge binary file and make it non-readable.

ping
Thanks folks!
I got some other suggestion mentioning using head or tail to cut just one line of the gz file. This might Change the file size a little bit (shred also does the same) though.

from iPhone

On Jan 26, 2014, at 16:09, Nils Kassube <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>> 2014-01-26 Nils Kassube <[hidden email]>
>>> My
>>> expample of the Caesar cipher was used because that is something one
>>> can understand even without a computer. And of course this simple
>>> program would only work with text, not with data.
>>
>> And only with English text… [a-zA-z].
>
> I think one could use something like this which would include your
> Swedish special characters: "ghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzåäöabcdef". That would
> be nearly unbreakable :)
>

> Nils

Re: ubuntu: destroy a huge binary file and make it non-readable.

ping
This is Sth I couldn't understand ... Is top post that sin? Ive been working in my career for many years and I never seen bottom post in the work..

On Jan 26, 2014, at 15:57, Nils Kassube <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Liam Proven wrote:
>> *and* you are also top quoting.
>
> Considering that recently so many people are top-posting, could it be
> that top-posting is the new standard and the technical guidelines of
> <http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community/mailing-lists> are obsolete?
> Then please someone tell us where the new guidelines can be found.
>

> Nils

Re: ubuntu: destroy a huge binary file and make it non-readable.

Ryan Gauger-3
Can we just please not worry about top-posting? I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything, I just get tired of seeing people get their panties in a wad over things like this. And it's default in Gmail and iOS Mail to top-post... Thanks!

---Ryan :)

Sent from my iPhone

> On 26 Jan 2014, at 11:18, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 25 January 2014 21:40, ping song <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> thanks.
>> but guess I haven't make it clear.
>

> You still have not made it remotely clear, *and* you are also top quoting.
>
> Please try to be clearer and in future bottom-quote.
> --
> Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
> Email: [hidden email] • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
> MSN: [hidden email] • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
> Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Re: ubuntu: destroy a huge binary file and make it non-readable.

Jim Byrnes-4
On 01/26/2014 02:57 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:

> Liam Proven wrote:
>> *and* you are also top quoting.
>
> Considering that recently so many people are top-posting, could it be
> that top-posting is the new standard and the technical guidelines of
> <http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community/mailing-lists> are obsolete?
> Then please someone tell us where the new guidelines can be found.
>

> Nils

Part of the problem may be different groups have different norms and it
is sometimes hard to keep them straight.  Some groups seem to prefer top
posting.  For example over in the LO group there was a complaint that
some questions were not being answered because people were not reading
to the end of a bottom post.

Regards,  Jim

Bob

Re: ubuntu: destroy a huge binary file and make it non-readable.

Bob
** Reply to message from Ping <[hidden email]> on Sun, 26 Jan 2014
16:50:26 -0500

> This is Sth I couldn't understand ... Is top post that sin? Ive been working in
> my career for many years and I never seen bottom post in the work..

From my point of view I don't like either top posting or bottom posting,
although bottom posting is much preferable to top bosting.  I much prefer
inline posting where you reply to each part of the message inline.  That way it
easier to get the complete context of the conversation.

> On Jan 26, 2014, at 15:57, Nils Kassube <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Liam Proven wrote:
> >> *and* you are also top quoting.
> >
> > Considering that recently so many people are top-posting, could it be
> > that top-posting is the new standard and the technical guidelines of
> > <http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community/mailing-lists> are obsolete?
> > Then please someone tell us where the new guidelines can be found.

Since the guidelines state "Write your email underneath the email which you are
replying to." I would think people would follow them.

--
Robert Blair

Ryan Gauger wrote:
> Can we just please not worry about top-posting? I'm not trying to
> start a flame war or anything, I just get tired of seeing people get
> their panties in a wad over things like this. And it's default in
> Gmail and iOS Mail to top-post... Thanks!

I don't intend to use Gmail, so I have no personal experience. However I
don't think that the Gmail client has a preference how to post. Just
that the cursor sits at the top doesn't mean that you are supposed to
put your reply to that position. If you read the Ubuntu mailing list
guidelines (I posted the link earlier), you will see that you should
remove unnecessary text in your reply, so it should be quite useful to
start at the top of the quoted text, where your cursor probably is
already. Then move the cursor down below the part of the text you want
to reply to. And on your way down you can easily remove unnecessary text
from the quote.

I know that top-posting is also the standard for business mail, but that
doesn't mean that it is useful for mailing lists. :)

OTOH, nobody will prevent you from top-posting, but then please expect
that some people who are annoyed about that behaviour may not help you.

Nils

Re: ubuntu: destroy a huge binary file and make it non-readable.

Paul Smith-2
On Sun, 2014-01-26 at 16:50 -0500, Ping wrote:
> This is Sth I couldn't understand ... Is top post that sin? Ive been
> working in my career for many years and I never seen bottom post in
> the work..

Top-posting is fine, and often preferred, for individual email or email
that's sent to a specific list of people, particularly in a business
setting.  These messages are usually not archived anywhere, and if you
want to add new people to the list of recipients then it's handy if they
have the complete conversation available (although it's usually
inconvenient to read through it all, at least it's possible).

However, this method is really crappy for public mailing lists, where
there are a LOT more recipients and all the history is archived anyway.
Top-posting means that (a) it's hard to figure out what exactly you're
replying to, and (b) hundreds of copies of the SAME MESSAGE are archived
over and over, as everyone replies and each reply contains a complete
copy of all previous replies... and on and on.

When people say "don't top-post", they DON'T mean "do exactly the same
thing as top-post but just write at the bottom instead of the top".
That would be ridiculous: not only are you not improving anything (it's
still hard to figure out what you're replying to and you still archive
hundreds of copies of the same message), but in addition people have to
scroll all the way down to the end of the email to see your message
(which is, unfortunately, often something uninteresting like "I agree!")

When people say "don't top-post", they REALLY mean "please reply using a
trimmed, interleaved style".  That means that you should take the time
to (a) remove all parts of the email you're replying to that are not
needed to understand your reply, including quotes of previous emails if
they're not relevant, and (b) if there are multiple points you want to
respond to, add a break into the quoting of the original email directly
after each point, and put your response to that point there.

In other words, you should assume the readers have already read and
understood all the previous messages to the list, and make it easy for
them to read and understand your reply as well.

Why, you ask, should you go to this trouble?  Consider that (1) you're
asking for help and it's wise to be polite to and considerate of the
people who you would like to help you, and (2) compare the amount of
time it takes you to write a clear, readable email versus the cumulative
amount of time it will take the thousands of mailing lists subscribers
to read a messy, difficult, confusing email... and ask yourself if your
time is really so much more important than everyone else's time.  Then

Cheers!

> [...]

> respond to, add a break into the quoting of the original email directly
> after each point, and put your response to that point there.
>
> In other words, you should assume the readers have already read and
> understood all the previous messages to the list, and make it easy for
> them to read and understand your reply as well.
>
> Why, you ask, should you go to this trouble?  Consider that (1) you're
> asking for help and it's wise to be polite to and considerate of the
> people who you would like to help you, and (2) compare the amount of
> time it takes you to write a clear, readable email versus the cumulative
> amount of time it will take the thousands of mailing lists subscribers
> to read a messy, difficult, confusing email... and ask yourself if your
> time is really so much more important than everyone else's time.  Then

Is this good then? :) I understand how it might be difficult to read of you haven't been keeping up with a conversation, so I think I know what to do now when replying :)

Re: ubuntu: destroy a huge binary file and make it non-readable.

Nandakumar
Hello,
Thanks for detailed discussions on Gopanam.
A few facts about Gopanam:
* It is not a program that converts a text file with the algorithm
this alphabet will be that and next alphabet will be ...
* It just encrypts each byte with the help of a key (password). i.e.,
binary files can also be encrypted.

I give two example encryptions using same key. Try an encryption or
find the key used (text files since this is a mailing list):
1)

¯¶š‰ž§µ†µšš„³±«Žº¬®€

2)

Ž»­‰œ¬º†º­­„ž¶°Ž¿±³€

The source code is here:
https://launchpad.net/gopanam/0.1x/beta/+download/gopanam_0.11.tar.gz

On 1/27/14, Paul Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 2014-01-26 at 16:50 -0500, Ping wrote:
>> This is Sth I couldn't understand ... Is top post that sin? Ive been
>> working in my career for many years and I never seen bottom post in
>> the work..
>
> Top-posting is fine, and often preferred, for individual email or email
> that's sent to a specific list of people, particularly in a business
> setting.  These messages are usually not archived anywhere, and if you
> want to add new people to the list of recipients then it's handy if they
> have the complete conversation available (although it's usually
> inconvenient to read through it all, at least it's possible).
>
> However, this method is really crappy for public mailing lists, where
> there are a LOT more recipients and all the history is archived anyway.
> Top-posting means that (a) it's hard to figure out what exactly you're
> replying to, and (b) hundreds of copies of the SAME MESSAGE are archived
> over and over, as everyone replies and each reply contains a complete
> copy of all previous replies... and on and on.
>

> When people say "don't top-post", they DON'T mean "do exactly the same
> thing as top-post but just write at the bottom instead of the top".
> That would be ridiculous: not only are you not improving anything (it's
> still hard to figure out what you're replying to and you still archive
> hundreds of copies of the same message), but in addition people have to
> scroll all the way down to the end of the email to see your message
> (which is, unfortunately, often something uninteresting like "I agree!")
>

> When people say "don't top-post", they REALLY mean "please reply using a
> trimmed, interleaved style".  That means that you should take the time
> to (a) remove all parts of the email you're replying to that are not
> needed to understand your reply, including quotes of previous emails if
> they're not relevant, and (b) if there are multiple points you want to
> respond to, add a break into the quoting of the original email directly
> after each point, and put your response to that point there.
>
> In other words, you should assume the readers have already read and
> understood all the previous messages to the list, and make it easy for
> them to read and understand your reply as well.
>
> Why, you ask, should you go to this trouble?  Consider that (1) you're
> asking for help and it's wise to be polite to and considerate of the
> people who you would like to help you, and (2) compare the amount of
> time it takes you to write a clear, readable email versus the cumulative
> amount of time it will take the thousands of mailing lists subscribers
> to read a messy, difficult, confusing email... and ask yourself if your
> time is really so much more important than everyone else's time.  Then
>
> Cheers!

Re: ubuntu: destroy a huge binary file and make it non-readable.

Richard Hector
On 27/01/14 13:07, Ryan Gauger wrote:

> [the whole long post responded to]

> Is this good then? :) I understand how it might be difficult to read of you haven't been keeping up with a conversation, so I think I know what to do now when replying :)

> [signature of post responded to]

Not really :-)

You left in the whole post you were responding to, where you only really
needed a line or 2, say:

> When people say "don't top-post", they REALLY mean "please reply
> using a trimmed, interleaved style".

And then you left the signature/footer from Paul's email under that,
which is also unnecessary.

Additionally, you posted one very long line - your mail program might
not have shown that, but you'll see if you view source. The traditional
netiquette is to limit your lines to 72 characters. But that seems to be
disappearing :-(

Richard

On 27/01/14 11:16, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Ryan Gauger wrote:
>> Can we just please not worry about top-posting? I'm not trying to
>> start a flame war or anything, I just get tired of seeing people get
>> their panties in a wad over things like this. And it's default in
>> Gmail and iOS Mail to top-post... Thanks!
>
> I don't intend to use Gmail, so I have no personal experience. However I
> don't think that the Gmail client has a preference how to post.

Unfortunately the default Android email client does - it treats the
quoted text as a block, and you can edit the bit in front. No choice
whatsoever, apart from not quoting at all. Infuriating.

> OTOH, nobody will prevent you from top-posting, but then please expect
> that some people who are annoyed about that behaviour may not help you.

And some may continue to flame^Wcomplain :-)

Richard

On 27/01/14 10:55, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> Part of the problem may be different groups have different norms and it
> is sometimes hard to keep them straight.  Some groups seem to prefer top
> posting.  For example over in the LO group there was a complaint that
> some questions were not being answered because people were not reading
> to the end of a bottom post.

In my experience, that's generally to do with insufficient trimming.

Richard

Re: ubuntu: destroy a huge binary file and make it non-readable.

Ryan Gauger-3

Sent from my iPhone

> On 26 Jan 2014, at 21:02, Richard Hector <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Not really :-)
>
> You left in the whole post you were responding to, where you only really
> needed a line or 2, say:
>
>> When people say "don't top-post", they REALLY mean "please reply
>> using a trimmed, interleaved style".

I'll work on it :)
> And then you left the signature/footer from Paul's email under that,
> which is also unnecessary.
>
> Additionally, you posted one very long line - your mail program might
> not have shown that, but you'll see if you view source. The traditional
> netiquette is to limit your lines to 72 characters. But that seems to be
> disappearing :-(
I'll work on that too ;) Did I delete everything unnecessary?

---Ryan

"If your eyes are on the storm, you wonder if I love you still, but if your eyes are on the cross, you know I always have and I always will."
-God

On 26 January 2014 21:54, Ryan Gauger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can we just please not worry about top-posting? I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything, I just get tired of seeing people get their panties in a wad over things like this. And it's default in Gmail and iOS Mail to top-post... Thanks!

Get the Gmail client for your iPhone. It bottom-posts.

It is perfectly easy to bottom-post properly in the Gmail web client.

And yes, it does matter. It is the proper and correct way to do it.
The fact that some commercial email systems, including those from
Microsoft, are broken and cannot do it is irrelevant.

If you cannot bottom-post, do not post at all until you are on a
computer with a working email client.

Top-posting breaks threading, it breaks discussion, it is impossible
to have detailed point-by-point discussions and is generally
brain-dead and useless.

If you want free help and support, follow the rules of this group, or leave it.

Email: [hidden email] • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: [hidden email] • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Re: ubuntu: destroy a huge binary file and make it non-readable.

Koh Choon Lin-5
Hi everyone

> Considering that recently so many people are top-posting, could it be
> that top-posting is the new standard and the technical guidelines of
> <http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community/mailing-lists> are obsolete?
> Then please someone tell us where the new guidelines can be found.

Please try to adhere to the guidelines listed in the above URL,
specifically on "[writing] your email underneath the email which you
are replying to."

This will keep the productivity of our mailing list at a high level.

Thank you.

Regards
Koh Choon Lin
Moderator

On 27/01/14 17:39, Ryan Gauger wrote:

> I'll work on that too ;) Did I delete everything unnecessary?

No, looking good :-)

> "If your eyes are on the storm, you wonder if I love you still, but if your eyes are on the cross, you know I always have and I always will."
> -God

Now just wrap your signature :-)

Though I notice that the footer appended by the list software is 90
characters long ... I can't be bothered fighting that one :-)

Richard

Re: ubuntu: destroy a huge binary file and make it non-readable.

Garry