ubuntu: destroy a huge binary file and make it non-readable.

Re: ubuntu: destroy a huge binary file and make it non-readable.

iceblink
On 2014-01-27 15:39, Liam Proven wrote:

> On 26 January 2014 21:54, Ryan Gauger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Can we just please not worry about top-posting? I'm not trying to
>> start a flame war or anything, I just get tired of seeing people get
>> their panties in a wad over things like this. And it's default in
>> Gmail and iOS Mail to top-post... Thanks!
>

> Get the Gmail client for your iPhone. It bottom-posts.
>
> It is perfectly easy to bottom-post properly in the Gmail web client.
>
> And yes, it does matter. It is the proper and correct way to do it.
> The fact that some commercial email systems, including those from
> Microsoft, are broken and cannot do it is irrelevant.
>
> If you cannot bottom-post, do not post at all until you are on a
> computer with a working email client.
>
> Top-posting breaks threading, it breaks discussion, it is impossible
> to have detailed point-by-point discussions and is generally
> brain-dead and useless.
>
> If you want free help and support, follow the rules of this group, or
> leave it.

Here's an idea though: for those who feel strongly about the subject,
please mail the perpetrator in a *private* email, so as not to bother
the rest of the subscribers with a flood of "please bottom post" "why
not" "cause its bad" messages ;-)

Just a thought.

Patrick Asselman

Re: ubuntu: destroy a huge binary file and make it non-readable.

Ryan Gauger-3

> On 27 Jan 2014, at 14:53, Richard Hector <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> "If your eyes are on the storm, you wonder if I love you still, but if your eyes are on the cross, you know I always have and I always will."
>> -God
>
> Now just wrap your signature :-)
>
> Though I notice that the footer appended by the list software is 90
> characters long ... I can't be bothered fighting that one :-)
>
> Richard
Thanks! What do you mean by "wrap the signature"? :) Sorry for not understanding, it is 2:18am :)

Until the Whole World Hears,
Ryan

On 28 January 2014 08:12, Patrick Asselman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Here's an idea though: for those who feel strongly about the subject, please
> mail the perpetrator in a *private* email, so as not to bother the rest of
> the subscribers with a flood of "please bottom post" "why not" "cause its
> bad" messages ;-)
>
> Just a thought.

The *point* of mailing lists is *public* discussion, so that others
who are not part of the conversation can learn too, and so that people
can come back to it later, or read the archives, or find the
discussion on Google, and learn from it.

Private mails defeat this.

--
Liam Proven * Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
Email: [hidden email] * GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven

Re: ubuntu: destroy a huge binary file and make it non-readable.

Richard Hector
On 28/01/14 21:19, Ryan Gauger wrote:

>> On 27 Jan 2014, at 14:53, Richard Hector <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> "If your eyes are on the storm, you wonder if I love you still, but if your eyes are on the cross, you know I always have and I always will."
>>> -God
>>
>> Now just wrap your signature :-)
>>
>> Though I notice that the footer appended by the list software is 90
>> characters long ... I can't be bothered fighting that one :-)
>>
>> Richard
> Thanks! What do you mean by "wrap the signature"? :) Sorry for not understanding, it is 2:18am :)

Make sure the signature doesn't exceed 72 (or 80 at most) characters.

I don't really care, though :-)

And your mail client may well make it difficult.

By signature, by the way, I'm referring to your "If your eyes" quote.

Oh, and also, your signature should ideally start with a line that just
has "-- " (dash dash space) on it; that's the accepted marker for a
signature, so that replies can automatically clip it off. Note that the
footer put on by the mailing list starts with a line like that.

I've never used a signature file myself, by the way.

Richard

Re: ubuntu: destroy a huge binary file and make it non-readable.

Ryan Gauger-3

>> Thanks! What do you mean by "wrap the signature"? :) Sorry for not understanding, it is 2:18am :)
>
> Make sure the signature doesn't exceed 72 (or 80 at most) characters.
>
> I don't really care, though :-)
>
> And your mail client may well make it difficult.
>
> By signature, by the way, I'm referring to your "If your eyes" quote.
>
> Oh, and also, your signature should ideally start with a line that just
> has "-- " (dash dash space) on it; that's the accepted marker for a
> signature, so that replies can automatically clip it off. Note that the
> footer put on by the mailing list starts with a line like that.
>
> I've never used a signature file myself, by the way.
>
> Richard
>

> --
Oh, okay. Btw, I don't know where to clip it, as it is the line from a song from Casting Crowns' latest album :) Should I remove the "until the whole..." part?

Should my sig look like this then?

--
Until the Whole World Hears,
Ryan

"If your eyes are on the storm, you wonder if I love you still, but if your eyes are on the cross, you know I always have and I always will."
-God

Re: ubuntu: destroy a huge binary file and make it non-readable.

Richard Hector
Eww, this list munges reply-to, so I can't reply direct. Never mind.

On 29/01/14 15:40, Ryan Gauger wrote:

> Oh, okay. Btw, I don't know where to clip it, as it is the line from a song from Casting Crowns' latest album :) Should I remove the "until the whole..." part?
>
> Should my sig look like this then?
>
> --
> Until the Whole World Hears,
> Ryan

You're missing the trailing space.

> "If your eyes are on the storm, you wonder if I love you still, but if your eyes are on the cross, you know I always have and I always will."
> -God

This is the long line. Needs a break somewhere around "cross,"
I didn't see the "Until the ..." bit; the earlier mail I was looking at
didn't have it. Are you using your mail program's signature feature? Or
just copying/typing it in by hand? A mail program should (!) do the
right thing ...

Richard

Re: ubuntu: destroy a huge binary file and make it non-readable.

Ryan Gauger-3

> On 28 Jan 2014, at 20:56, Richard Hector <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 29/01/14 15:40, Ryan Gauger wrote:
>
> You're missing the trailing space.
>

>> "If your eyes are on the storm, you wonder if I love you still, but if your eyes are on the cross, you know I always have and I always will."
>> -God
>
> This is the long line. Needs a break somewhere around "cross,"
> I didn't see the "Until the ..." bit; the earlier mail I was looking at
> didn't have it. Are you using your mail program's signature feature? Or
> just copying/typing it in by hand? A mail program should (!) do the
> right thing ...
>
> Richard
I'm using my iPhone, so it, by default, top-posts :(

I do have it set up though in settings :) Thanks!

--
Until the Whole World Hears,
Ryan

Bob

Re: ubuntu: destroy a huge binary file and make it non-readable.

Bob
** Reply to message from Ryan Gauger <[hidden email]> on Tue, 28 Jan 2014
20:40:21 -0600

> your eyes are on the cross, you know I always have and I always will."
> >> Thanks! What do you mean by "wrap the signature"? :) Sorry for not understanding, it is 2:18am :)
> >
> > Make sure the signature doesn't exceed 72 (or 80 at most) characters.
> >
> > I don't really care, though :-)
> >
> > And your mail client may well make it difficult.
> >
> > By signature, by the way, I'm referring to your "If your eyes" quote.
> >
> > Oh, and also, your signature should ideally start with a line that just
> > has "-- " (dash dash space) on it; that's the accepted marker for a
> > signature, so that replies can automatically clip it off. Note that the
> > footer put on by the mailing list starts with a line like that.
> >
> > I've never used a signature file myself, by the way.
> >
> > Richard
> >

> > --
> Oh, okay. Btw, I don't know where to clip it, as it is the line from a song
> from Casting Crowns' latest album :) Should I remove the "until the whole..."
> part?

I see this as a problem of the email client, both the sending and receiving
client.

An email client if sending should wrap (optional to a given value) all lines at
some given line lingth, mine is set to 80 characters.  This should wrap all
lines including the sig.

An email client if receiving should wrap (optional on or off) all lines to fit
in the window.

So I have wrap set so received email wraps so I do not have to scroll.  Sending
my client wraps lines at 80 characters.

I do not have problems because my email client has options that make sense.

--
Robert Blair

Bob

Re: ubuntu: destroy a huge binary file and make it non-readable.

Bob
** Reply to message from Richard Hector <[hidden email]> on Wed, 29
Jan 2014 15:56:31 +1300

> Eww, this list munges reply-to, so I can't reply direct. Never mind.

I like it that way.

I very much dislike getting an email reply to a mailing list post.  If that is
done I either get two replies or the people on the mailing list do not see the
reply.  In either case I think it is wrong.

--
Robert Blair

On 29/01/14 18:09, Bob wrote:

> ** Reply to message from Richard Hector <[hidden email]> on Wed, 29
> Jan 2014 15:56:31 +1300
>
>> Eww, this list munges reply-to, so I can't reply direct. Never mind.
>
> I like it that way.
>
> I very much dislike getting an email reply to a mailing list post.  If that is
> done I either get two replies or the people on the mailing list do not see the
> reply.  In either case I think it is wrong.

I'm much more familiar with the Debian lists, where it's firmly
configured not to munge.

If I'm replying to the list, I hit "Reply List" - that's most of the
time. If I want to reply to the user, for a specific reason (and there
are reasons, when the topic is no longer relevant to the list), then I
hit "Reply".

On a munged list like this, the option to reply to the user is no longer
there; I'd have to muck about with copy & paste.

Also, if the user has set a Reply-to for a specific reason - because
that's where they receive their mail - that will be lost completely, and
I can only (with difficulty) reply to the address they sent it from,
where they may not be able to receive it.

Finally, IMHO the default should be the safe option. If I intend to send
to the list and I send to the individual, no real harm done; they were
going to get it anyway. If I intend to send to the individual and
accidentally send to the list, that can have serious consequences ...

Richard

On 2014-01-28 17:11, Liam Proven wrote:

> On 28 January 2014 08:12, Patrick Asselman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Here's an idea though: for those who feel strongly about the
>> subject, please
>> mail the perpetrator in a *private* email, so as not to bother the
>> rest of
>> the subscribers with a flood of "please bottom post" "why not"
>> "cause its
>> bad" messages ;-)
>>
>> Just a thought.
>

> The *point* of mailing lists is *public* discussion, so that others
> who are not part of the conversation can learn too, and so that
> people
> can come back to it later, or read the archives, or find the
> discussion on Google, and learn from it.
>
> Private mails defeat this.

In case of on-topic issues you would have a point. But this list is not
meant to discuss the proper way of using mail clients. I quote: "About
ubuntu-users:  This list is for Ubuntu user technical support. This is
not a place for general discussions."

This clearly shows that emails about misbehaviour of posters should be
kept off the list, in my humble opinion.

Regards,
Patrick Asselman

On 2014-01-29 06:46, Richard Hector wrote:

> On 29/01/14 18:09, Bob wrote:
>> ** Reply to message from Richard Hector <[hidden email]> on
>> Wed, 29
>> Jan 2014 15:56:31 +1300
>>
>>> Eww, this list munges reply-to, so I can't reply direct. Never
>>> mind.
>>
>> I like it that way.
>>
>> I very much dislike getting an email reply to a mailing list post.
>> If that is
>> done I either get two replies or the people on the mailing list do
>> not see the
>> reply.  In either case I think it is wrong.
>
> I'm much more familiar with the Debian lists, where it's firmly
> configured not to munge.
>
> If I'm replying to the list, I hit "Reply List" - that's most of the
> time. If I want to reply to the user, for a specific reason (and
> there
> are reasons, when the topic is no longer relevant to the list), then
> hit "Reply".
>
> On a munged list like this, the option to reply to the user is no
> longer
> there; I'd have to muck about with copy & paste.
>
> Also, if the user has set a Reply-to for a specific reason - because
> that's where they receive their mail - that will be lost completely,
> and
> I can only (with difficulty) reply to the address they sent it from,
> where they may not be able to receive it.
>
> Finally, IMHO the default should be the safe option. If I intend to
> send
> to the list and I send to the individual, no real harm done; they
> were
> going to get it anyway. If I intend to send to the individual and
> accidentally send to the list, that can have serious consequences ...
>
> Richard

The subject of this discussion no longer seems to cover the contents.
May I suggest you start a new thread with a suitable subject line if
you are going to discuss this at length?

I've heard arguments that top-posting makes a subject hard to read.
Please take this into consideration then: going off-topic in a thread
about top-posting and proper use of mail clients makes it hard to find
answers to your problems while searching mailing list archives. It is
equally bad as top-posting.

Please note I am not a moderator, but this should be common-sense
enough to accept from anybody.

Regards,
Patrick Asselman

Re: ubuntu: destroy a huge binary file and make it non-readable.

Jared Norris
Hello all,

With my moderators hat on can we please either continue with the original thread or stop entirely. For clarification I will remind everyone about the existence of the mailing list FAQ page [1] and if you require further clarification please contact the list owners [2] who will more than happily discuss any questions or concerns any list member may have, thanks.