ubuntu linux 14.04 couldn't boot up after update

ubuntu linux 14.04 couldn't boot up after update

ping
I never did this unnecessary kind of update ,  too stupid this time...
I updated last night since I thought it's been a long while (over 6 month) since I installed 14.04 in my Dell inspiron laptop.
It doesn't boot at all. give me a "black blank screen". not even a console (ctrl-alt-fn)
tried everything, use "rw init=/bin/bash" trick to boot into single mode, play with the /etc/default/grub ,
tested recovery mode, selected previous/old kernels, everything. nothing works.
this happened to another laptop (IBM X61) too - that one I used 5 years almost since ubuntu 8.10.
I did so many google search, most says new kernal not support display card, but in my case I can't even boot with the old one, not even enter any console...
what a crab is it ?

Re: ubuntu linux 14.04 couldn't boot up after update

Liam Proven
On 1 October 2014 04:17, ping song <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I never did this unnecessary kind of update ,  too stupid this time...
> I updated last night since I thought it's been a long while (over 6 month)
> since I installed 14.04 in my Dell inspiron laptop.

You only update every 6 months?! :-o

I am *amazed*.

I do it about 2-3 times a week, minimum. Generally if it's a machine I
don't use every day, I update every single time I use it.

You can get to the GRUB menu by holding down Shift as the machine boots:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/354817/how-do-i-show-the-grub-menu-in-grub-2

Email: [hidden email] • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: [hidden email] • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven