ubuntu/linux: any good free ascii-based game?

ubuntu/linux: any good free ascii-based game?

ping
just remember the old days, when most game were based on ascii without a GUI.
still any available in ubuntu now?

Re: ubuntu/linux: any good free ascii-based game?

William Scott Lockwood III-2

On Dec 29, 2013 10:23 AM, "ping song" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> just remember the old days, when most game were based on ascii without a GUI.
> still any available in ubuntu now?

Several. Look for angband and it's variants, as well as Nethack. There are others, but those are my favorites.

Re: ubuntu/linux: any good free ascii-based game?

Nils Kassube-2
ping song wrote:
> just remember the old days, when most game were based on ascii without
> a GUI.
> still any available in ubuntu now?

There is the package "bsdgames" which includes these programs:

adventure, arithmetic, atc, backgammon, battlestar, bcd, boggle, caesar,
canfield, countmail, cribbage, dab, go-fish, gomoku, hack, hangman,
hunt, mille, monop, morse, number, pig, phantasia, pom, ppt, primes,
quiz, random, rain, robots, rot13, sail, snake, tetris, trek, wargames,
worm, worms, wump und wtf

That should keep you busy for some time ...

Nils

Re: ubuntu/linux: any good free ascii-based game?

Paul Cartwright
On 12/29/2013 02:55 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:

> ping song wrote:
>> just remember the old days, when most game were based on ascii without
>> a GUI.
>> still any available in ubuntu now?
> There is the package "bsdgames" which includes these programs:
>
> adventure, arithmetic, atc, backgammon, battlestar, bcd, boggle, caesar,
> canfield, countmail, cribbage, dab, go-fish, gomoku, hack, hangman,
> hunt, mille, monop, morse, number, pig, phantasia, pom, ppt, primes,
> quiz, random, rain, robots, rot13, sail, snake, tetris, trek, wargames,
> worm, worms, wump und wtf
>
> That should keep you busy for some time ...

yeah, Adventure ( Colossal cave..) is an ancient classic.. I spent a few
months on that one, way back when:) I was on a UNIX terminal...

--
Paul Cartwright