unable to access windows share directory on windows server 2008

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

unable to access windows share directory on windows server 2008

Jatin khatri

Dear all


I'm using Ubuntu 18.04 on my laptop, I'm unable to access windows shared directory using following command in nautilus addressbar


smb://ip-of-server/shared-directory ( getting following error )


###########

Could not display "smb://ip-of-server/"


Errot:- Failed to retrieve share list from server: Invalid argument

please select another viewer and try again.


##################


same thing happens with LinuxMint 19












--

*/

Jatin Khatri

RHCSA RHCE CCNA

www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jatin

Save Paper, Save Environment.**
(Plant at least one tree in your life and nurture it !!!)



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: unable to access windows share directory on windows server 2008

Peter Flynn
On 26/07/18 05:51, Jatin khatri wrote:
> Dear all
>
>
> I'm using Ubuntu 18.04 on my laptop, I'm unable to access windows shared
> directory using following command in nautilus addressbar

I use Thunar for accessing Windows shares (for no other reason than it
works for the shares I need to access :-)

Can you install Thunar and see if that can access it?

///Peter

>
>
> smb://ip-of-server/shared-directory ( getting following error )
>
>
> ###########
>
> Could not display "smb://ip-of-server/"
>
>
> Errot:- Failed to retrieve share list from server: Invalid argument
>
> please select another viewer and try again.
>
>
> ##################
>
>
> same thing happens with LinuxMint 19
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
>
> */
>
> Jatin Khatri
>
> RHCSA RHCE CCNA
>
> www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jatin <http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jatin>
>
> Save Paper, Save Environment.**
> /*(Plant at least one tree in your life and nurture it !!!)*/
>
>
>
>

--
Peter Flynn | Principal Consultant | Silmaril Consultants | Cork 🇮🇪
Ireland | ☎ +353 86 824 5333 | ✉ [hidden email] | 🌍
blogs.silmaril.ie/peter

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: unable to access windows share directory on windows server 2008

Jatin khatri
On Friday 27 July 2018 01:46 AM, Peter Flynn wrote:
On 26/07/18 05:51, Jatin khatri wrote:
Dear all


I'm using Ubuntu 18.04 on my laptop, I'm unable to access windows shared
directory using following command in nautilus addressbar
I use Thunar for accessing Windows shares (for no other reason than it
works for the shares I need to access :-)

Can you install Thunar and see if that can access it?
yes I've installed it but no luck.... situation is same and same error message






*/

Jatin Khatri

RHCSA RHCE CCNA

www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jatin

Save Paper, Save Environment.**
(Plant at least one tree in your life and nurture it !!!)



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: unable to access windows share directory on windows server 2008

Colin Law
In reply to this post by Jatin khatri
On 26 July 2018 at 05:51, Jatin khatri <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear all

I'm using Ubuntu 18.04 on my laptop, I'm unable to access windows shared directory using following command in nautilus addressbar

smb://ip-of-server/shared-directory ( getting following error )

Nautilus on 18.04 doesn't have an address bar (at least not for me).  Do you mean you are entering it in the "Connect to Server" entry field?  That is working ok for me.

Have you confirmed by some other mechanism that it is not a server problem?  The fact that it fails on multiple systems and multiple file browsers suggests it may be a server problem, or firewall or similar.

Also how does that error appear?  Is it a popup dialog?

Colin


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: unable to access windows share directory on windows server 2008

Peter Flynn
In reply to this post by Jatin khatri
On 27/07/18 15:00, Jatin khatri wrote:

> On Friday 27 July 2018 01:46 AM, Peter Flynn wrote:
>> On 26/07/18 05:51, Jatin khatri wrote:
>>> I'm using Ubuntu 18.04 on my laptop, I'm unable to access windows shared
>>> directory using following command in nautilus addressbar
>>> I use Thunar for accessing Windows shares (for no other reason than it
>>> works for the shares I need to access :-)
>>
>> Can you install Thunar and see if that can access it?
> > yes I've installed it but no luck.... situation is same and same error
> message

I was going to suggest trying Dolphin, which used to be my favourite
file manager, but I just installed it myself, and the problem of not
showing file icons is still there after four years, so it's a dodo.

(Quite why the dolphin devs refuse to fix this bug is beyond me.)

I'm afraid I'm out of options. I know it took me a long time to find the
right file manager and the right incantation to open a share, and even
now it's a messy and error-prone operation, with a pop-up window that
refuses to remember the shares you have used, even if the 'remember
forever' button is clicked, and the silent and grey keychain popup which
appears so discreetly in the top corner of the screen that you don't
notice it, and wait while nothing happens. The sooner I get away from a
Windows environment the better. But I'm sorry I cannot provide more help.

///Peter

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: unable to access windows share directory on windows server 2008

Jatin khatri
In reply to this post by Colin Law
On Friday 27 July 2018 10:39 PM, Colin Law wrote:
On 26 July 2018 at 05:51, Jatin khatri <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear all

I'm using Ubuntu 18.04 on my laptop, I'm unable to access windows shared directory using following command in nautilus addressbar

smb://ip-of-server/shared-directory ( getting following error )

Nautilus on 18.04 doesn't have an address bar (at least not for me).  Do you mean you are entering it in the "Connect to Server" entry field?  That is working ok for me.

I've installed nemo, there is a address bar





Have you confirmed by some other mechanism that it is not a server problem?  The fact that it fails on multiple systems and multiple file browsers suggests it may be a server problem, or firewall or similar.




on my old LinuxMint 18 and Ubuntu ( 16.04) machine on the same network works fine ... so I think its related to new version of Ubuntu and Mint

on newer version of Ubuntu and Mint wine is also not working as it should be






Also how does that error appear?  Is it a popup dialog?





yeah, it shows popup dialog box


Colin




--

*/

Jatin Khatri

RHCSA RHCE CCNA

www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jatin

Save Paper, Save Environment.**
(Plant at least one tree in your life and nurture it !!!)



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: unable to access windows share directory on windows server 2008

Colin Law
In reply to this post by Colin Law
On 28 July 2018 at 05:49, Jatin khatri <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Friday 27 July 2018 10:39 PM, Colin Law wrote:
On 26 July 2018 at 05:51, Jatin khatri <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear all

I'm using Ubuntu 18.04 on my laptop, I'm unable to access windows shared directory using following command in nautilus addressbar

smb://ip-of-server/shared-directory ( getting following error )

Nautilus on 18.04 doesn't have an address bar (at least not for me).  Do you mean you are entering it in the "Connect to Server" entry field?  That is working ok for me.

I've installed nemo, there is a address bar

Your initial post referenced nautilus.

Are you able to browse to it in Nautilus selecting Other Locations > Windows Network?  If that shows the same error then it could be this problem.

Colin



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users