unfamiliar with 7zip archive - Help!

Curt
I have a two part archive that doesn't want to unpack.
I have P7zip, P7zip-full and P7zip-rar installed but the files
"somefile.7z.zip" and <anotherfile>.7z.Z01" will not open in Nautilus
"extract here" nor does "7z e <eitherfile.7z.*>" at the command line.
It looks to me as if the first file was compressed twice but
"unzip ...." reports that it's not a zip file.
I've also tried it under Windows, but get the same error each time: "An
error occurred while loading the archive."
The sender of the files tells me they open for him.

I've never seen these extensions before and uncle google has been no
help.

Re: unfamiliar with 7zip archive - Help!

Karl Auer
On Sat, 2015-04-11 at 17:59 -0500, C.Tresenriter wrote:
> I have a two part archive that doesn't want to unpack.
> [...]
> The sender of the files tells me they open for him.

What does the "file" utility report? Might not have been
compressed/packaged the way you think they are, and file extensions can
lie.

Email the sender and ask him *exactly* how he extracted the files.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: 3C41 82BE A9E7 99A1 B931 5AE7 7638 0147 2C3C 2AC4
Old fingerprint: EC67 61E2 C2F6 EB55 884B E129 072B 0AF0 72AA 9882

On Sun, 2015-04-12 at 09:46 +1000, Karl Auer wrote:

> What does the "file" utility report? Might not have been
> compressed/packaged the way you think they are, and file extensions can
> lie.
>
> Email the sender and ask him *exactly* how he extracted the files.

I'm already waiting for a response on that question.

Here's the output of "file -z <file.7z.Z01>"
7-zip archive data, version 0.4 (Zip archive data, at least v2.0 to
extract)

and the 7z.zip file  reports simply:
data
Maybe I'm using the utility incorrectly?

Years ago I had another archive like this (7z.Z01. 7z.Z02, etc) with
several parts, I eventually decided I had spent enough time trying to
figure it out and gave up.

Re: unfamiliar with 7zip archive - Help!

Karl Auer
On Sat, 2015-04-11 at 19:33 -0500, C.Tresenriter wrote: *one* file, then
use
> Maybe I'm using the utility incorrectly?

I seem to recall theat 7zip was/is originally a Windows utility, and
that a command line version was ported to Linux. I wonder if the sender
is using Windows and the Windows GUI version has features the Linux CLI
version is missing.

If the sender is using Linux/Unix, get him to zip the whole lot into
*one* file, then use the split utility to chunk it. When you have the
chunks, just cat them together, and extract from the result.

Before you do that, though, get him to split a *small* file and test it
with you.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: 3C41 82BE A9E7 99A1 B931 5AE7 7638 0147 2C3C 2AC4
Old fingerprint: EC67 61E2 C2F6 EB55 884B E129 072B 0AF0 72AA 9882

Re: unfamiliar with 7zip archive - Help!

Chris Roy-Smith
On 12/04/15 10:33, C.Tresenriter wrote:

> On Sun, 2015-04-12 at 09:46 +1000, Karl Auer wrote:
>
>> What does the "file" utility report? Might not have been
>> compressed/packaged the way you think they are, and file extensions can
>> lie.
>>
>> Email the sender and ask him *exactly* how he extracted the files.
>
> I'm already waiting for a response on that question.
>
> Here's the output of "file -z <file.7z.Z01>"
> 7-zip archive data, version 0.4 (Zip archive data, at least v2.0 to
> extract)
>
> and the 7z.zip file  reports simply:
> data
> Maybe I'm using the utility incorrectly?
>
> Years ago I had another archive like this (7z.Z01. 7z.Z02, etc) with
> several parts, I eventually decided I had spent enough time trying to
> figure it out and gave up.

have you read this article?
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/04/7z-7zip-7za-file-compression/

On Sun, 2015-04-12 at 10:55 +1000, Karl Auer wrote:

> On Sat, 2015-04-11 at 19:33 -0500, C.Tresenriter wrote: *one* file, then
> use
> > Maybe I'm using the utility incorrectly?
>
> I seem to recall theat 7zip was/is originally a Windows utility, and
> that a command line version was ported to Linux. I wonder if the sender
> is using Windows and the Windows GUI version has features the Linux CLI
> version is missing.
>
> If the sender is using Linux/Unix, get him to zip the whole lot into
> *one* file, then use the split utility to chunk it. When you have the
> chunks, just cat them together, and extract from the result.
>
> Before you do that, though, get him to split a *small* file and test it
> with you.
>
> Regards, K.

He's a Windows user and just double clicked on the file to open it - a
MAC user did the same.
I've got 7zip on my Win install and it pukes too.

The file isn't all that important, I just thought I was missing
something obvious (again).

Thanks for the replies.

Re: unfamiliar with 7zip archive - Help!

Tony Baechler - BATS
On 2015-04-11 06:47 PM, C.Tresenriter wrote:
> He's a Windows user and just double clicked on the file to open it - a
> MAC user did the same.
> I've got 7zip on my Win install and it pukes too.
>
> The file isn't all that important, I just thought I was missing
> something obvious (again).

Hi,

For what it's worth, I would try two things.  First, what is the output of this?

7z l file.7z

Second, what if you cat the pieces together and then try to extract?  I'm
also wondering if somehow the archive got corrupted in email transit.  If
7-zip can't list it, it's probably broken and there is no point in
continuing.  I think the archive contents are stored in the header, so if
the first part is damaged, it isn't going to extract unless you use an
archive repair utility.

On Sun, 2015-04-12 at 10:59 +1000, Chris Roy-Smith wrote:

> On 12/04/15 10:33, C.Tresenriter wrote:
> >

> > On Sun, 2015-04-12 at 09:46 +1000, Karl Auer wrote:
> >
> >> What does the "file" utility report? Might not have been
> >> compressed/packaged the way you think they are, and file extensions can
> >> lie.
> >>
> >> Email the sender and ask him *exactly* how he extracted the files.
> >
> > I'm already waiting for a response on that question.
> >
> > Here's the output of "file -z <file.7z.Z01>"
> > 7-zip archive data, version 0.4 (Zip archive data, at least v2.0 to
> > extract)
> >
> > and the 7z.zip file  reports simply:
> > data
> > Maybe I'm using the utility incorrectly?
> >
> > Years ago I had another archive like this (7z.Z01. 7z.Z02, etc) with
> > several parts, I eventually decided I had spent enough time trying to
> > figure it out and gave up.
> >

> have you read this article?
> http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/04/7z-7zip-7za-file-compression/

Yup.

Re: unfamiliar with 7zip archive - Help!

First Name Last Name
Which triggers the thought to email the file that was originally sent back to the originator and see if it will still unzip on the system used to process it in the beginning.
If it won't work then you know something is definitely broken within the sent file[s].

- - - - -

-"God is not fooled." - Eric Metaxa

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable." John F. Kennedy

- "Authority that can not be questioned is tyranny" - Sir Terry Pratchett

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.   Martin Luther King Jr., Strength to Love, 1963

- “If men are not governed by God, they will be ruled by tyrants.”  William Penn, founder of Pennsylvania   - - - - - “The wicked walk on every side, when the vilest men are exalted” (Psalm 12:8)“  - - - - -

Monster =  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXP4tRUuqUY