Quantcast

unity dead

Doug Stewart-4
I have a laptop that just did an update
and now no unity.
I have my desktop and I can open
a terminal( by right clicking on the desktop) but I cant grab an open window and then move it.

Is this a known problem with the latest updates?

Doug
--
DASCertificate for 206392

Re: unity dead

CrankyOldBugger
A quick search found this possible solution:  http://askubuntu.com/questions/759150/launcher-menubar-and-window-borders-disappeared-in-ubuntu-16-04

In summary,

  1. Type Alt-F10 and then open terminal from the menu that appears
  2. then type ccsm in to the terminal.
  3. in there search for unity plugin and enable it.

It asks several questions because enabling it conflicts with another. After enabling it the Unity launcher and menu bar should appear.

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 11:43 AM, CrankyOldBugger <[hidden email]> wrote:
A quick search found this possible solution:  http://askubuntu.com/questions/759150/launcher-menubar-and-window-borders-disappeared-in-ubuntu-16-04

In summary,

  1. Type Alt-F10 and then open terminal from the menu that appears
  2. then type ccsm in to the terminal.
  3. in there search for unity plugin and enable it.

It asks several questions because enabling it conflicts with another. After enabling it the Unity launcher and menu bar should appear.

Yes i saw that and that did not fix it. unity is running just not working correctly.

On 22 July 2016 at 11:37, Doug Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have a laptop that just did an update
and now no unity.
I have my desktop and I can open
a terminal( by right clicking on the desktop) but I cant grab an open window and then move it.

Is this a known problem with the latest updates?

Doug
--
DASCertificate for 206392

DASCertificate for 206392

Re: unity dead

Stephen M. Webb-4
On 16-07-22 11:53 AM, Doug Stewart wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 11:43 AM, CrankyOldBugger <[hidden email]
>> wrote:
>
>> A quick search found this possible solution:
>> http://askubuntu.com/questions/759150/launcher-menubar-and-window-borders-disappeared-in-ubuntu-16-04
>>
>> In summary,
>>
>>    1. Type Alt-F10 and then open terminal from the menu that appears
>>    2. then type ccsm in to the terminal.
>>    3. in there search for unity plugin and enable it.
>>
>> It asks several questions because enabling it conflicts with another.
>> After enabling it the Unity launcher and menu bar should appear.
>>
> Yes i saw that and that did not fix it. unity is running just not working
> correctly.

How do you know it's running?  If the Launcher and decorations aren't being drawn, it sounds very much like Compiz is
not running.

Check to see if there is a crash log for Compiz in /var/crash.  If not, check ~/.xsession-errors and
~/.cache/upstart/unity7.log* for suspicious messages logged.

--
Stephen M. Webb  <[hidden email]>

Re: unity dead

Aruna Hewapathirane
  1. Open a terminal by hitting Ctrl + Alt + T.
  2. Insert and run this commands: gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/compiz-1 unity --reset.
  3. Restart, this should work. ( Hopefully :-)

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 11:37 AM, Doug Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have a laptop that just did an update
and now no unity.
I have my desktop and I can open
a terminal( by right clicking on the desktop) but I cant grab an open window and then move it.

Is this a known problem with the latest updates?

Doug
--
DASCertificate for 206392

Re: unity dead

Doug Stewart-4
I believe that my problem is with the driver of the graphics card.

when I use the nvidia binary driver - version 361.42  proprietary  then my system shows the Top bar and the icons down the left side, and  all works.

When I use X.Org X server - Nouveau display driver from xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (open source)   then no top bar and no icons down the left side.

I have been using the second open source drivers all along until this last upgrade, when this showed up.

How do I go back to a previous driver?

Doug