uploading golang-1.10 everywhere

Michael Hudson-Doyle
Hi all,

At the recent sprint in Brussels, there was some discussion of providing a way for packages in older Ubuntu releases a way to build with a newer version of Go. After some discussion with the security team, it was decided that it made sense to upload Go 1.10 (which is after all going to be supported as part of Bionic for 5 years) to the older releases. I'm mentioning this plan here (a) for awareness (b) to get the security team to publicly acknowledge their agreement to the plan :)

There is a bug to track the uploads:

All comments here or in the bug gratefully received.

Cheers,
mwh

PS: although it's always hard to predict the future, the plan as it is today is also to backport whatever version of Go ends up in 20.04 LTS to the releases that are still supported at that time, etc.

Re: uploading golang-1.10 everywhere

Jamie Strandboge-3
On Wed, 26 Sep 2018, Michael Hudson-Doyle wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> At the recent sprint in Brussels, there was some discussion of providing a way
> for packages in older Ubuntu releases a way to build with a newer version of
> Go. After some discussion with the security team, it was decided that it made
> sense to upload Go 1.10 (which is after all going to be supported as part of
> Bionic for 5 years) to the older releases. I'm mentioning this plan here (a)
> for awareness (b) to get the security team to publicly acknowledge their
> agreement to the plan :)
>
> There is a bug to track the uploads:
>
>     https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/golang-1.10/+bug/1794395
>
> All comments here or in the bug gratefully received.

This is fine with the security team (if it was a golang version that was
in an interim release, that would be a different story, but we are
already supporting this in bionic, so why not in earlier?). I commented
in the bug too.

--
Jamie Strandboge             | http://www.canonical.com

On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 at 06:29, Jamie Strandboge <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 26 Sep 2018, Michael Hudson-Doyle wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> At the recent sprint in Brussels, there was some discussion of providing a way
> for packages in older Ubuntu releases a way to build with a newer version of
> Go. After some discussion with the security team, it was decided that it made
> sense to upload Go 1.10 (which is after all going to be supported as part of
> Bionic for 5 years) to the older releases. I'm mentioning this plan here (a)
> for awareness (b) to get the security team to publicly acknowledge their
> agreement to the plan :)
>
> There is a bug to track the uploads:
>
>     https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/golang-1.10/+bug/1794395
>
> All comments here or in the bug gratefully received.

This is fine with the security team (if it was a golang version that was
in an interim release, that would be a different story, but we are
already supporting this in bionic, so why not in earlier?). I commented
in the bug too.

Thanks, I've uploaded golang-1.10 to the various UNAPPROVED queues now.

Cheers,
mwh

Re: uploading golang-1.10 everywhere

Lukasz Zemczak
Thanks! If no one beats me to it, I will review those tomorrow during
my SRU shift.

Cheers,

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 at 23:22, Michael Hudson-Doyle
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 at 06:29, Jamie Strandboge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 26 Sep 2018, Michael Hudson-Doyle wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > At the recent sprint in Brussels, there was some discussion of providing a way
>> > for packages in older Ubuntu releases a way to build with a newer version of
>> > Go. After some discussion with the security team, it was decided that it made
>> > sense to upload Go 1.10 (which is after all going to be supported as part of
>> > Bionic for 5 years) to the older releases. I'm mentioning this plan here (a)
>> > for awareness (b) to get the security team to publicly acknowledge their
>> > agreement to the plan :)
>> >
>> > There is a bug to track the uploads:
>> >
>> >     https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/golang-1.10/+bug/1794395
>> >
>> > All comments here or in the bug gratefully received.
>> >
>> This is fine with the security team (if it was a golang version that was
>> in an interim release, that would be a different story, but we are
>> already supporting this in bionic, so why not in earlier?). I commented
>> in the bug too.
>

> Thanks, I've uploaded golang-1.10 to the various UNAPPROVED queues now.
>
> Cheers,
> mwh

Łukasz 'sil2100' Zemczak
 Foundations Team