using debian sources from ubuntu

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

using debian sources from ubuntu

kloro
some questions on using debian sources for ubuntu intrepid system

        is it safe? i would prefer to do without something
        than risk dependency problems
       
        if so, should i be using lenny/testing sources only?
       
my immediate need is to install kcontrol so that i can --
hopefully -- control the format of times displayed for kalarm
items. apparently this is not available from the ubuntu intrepid
sources, since it doesn't appear in the synaptic choices.

thanks,

tom arnall
arcata



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: using debian sources from ubuntu

NoOp-4
On 12/14/2008 04:46 PM, tom arnall wrote:

> some questions on using debian sources for ubuntu intrepid system
>
> is it safe? i would prefer to do without something
> than risk dependency problems
>
> if so, should i be using lenny/testing sources only?
>
> my immediate need is to install kcontrol so that i can --
> hopefully -- control the format of times displayed for kalarm
> items. apparently this is not available from the ubuntu intrepid
> sources, since it doesn't appear in the synaptic choices.
>
> thanks,
>
> tom arnall
> arcata
>
>
>

sudo apt-get install kcontrol

from a terminal should do it. Either that or use Synaptic to install -
it will show in Synaptic if you enable the Universe repositories.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/kcontrol-autostart

From Synaptic:

Settings|Repositories|Ubuntu Software| check 'Community-maintained Open
Source software (universe).

Click 'Close'
Click 'Reload'



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: using debian sources from ubuntu

Mario Vukelic
In reply to this post by kloro
On Sun, 2008-12-14 at 16:46 -0800, tom arnall wrote:
> some questions on using debian sources for ubuntu intrepid system
>
> is it safe? i would prefer to do without something
> than risk dependency problems

In general, it is not safe and will create dependency problems.
       
> my immediate need is to install kcontrol

See NoOp's reply. And read this
http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/components


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: using debian sources from ubuntu

Florian Diesch
In reply to this post by kloro
tom arnall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> some questions on using debian sources for ubuntu intrepid system
>
> is it safe?

No. Debian and Ubuntu are different (but similar)
distributions. Mixing may work for some versions of some packages but
not in general.


   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
**  Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your signature, please!  **
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: using debian sources from ubuntu

NoOp-4
In reply to this post by Mario Vukelic
On 12/14/2008 06:59 PM, Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-12-14 at 16:46 -0800, tom arnall wrote:
>> some questions on using debian sources for ubuntu intrepid system
>>
>> is it safe? i would prefer to do without something
>> than risk dependency problems
>
> In general, it is not safe and will create dependency problems.
>
>> my immediate need is to install kcontrol
>
> See NoOp's reply. And read this
> http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/components
>
>

Thanks for adding that :-)



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: using debian sources from ubuntu

Derek Broughton-2
In reply to this post by kloro
tom arnall wrote:

> some questions on using debian sources for ubuntu intrepid system
>
> is it safe? i would prefer to do without something
> than risk dependency problems
>
> if so, should i be using lenny/testing sources only?
>
> my immediate need is to install kcontrol so that i can --
> hopefully -- control the format of times displayed for kalarm
> items. apparently this is not available from the ubuntu intrepid
> sources, since it doesn't appear in the synaptic choices.

You'll get different opinions - particularly from Mario with whom I've
had this disagreement before :-)

In general, it IS safe to install Debian packages - with caveats - but I
wouldn't go permanently adding Debian distros to the sources.list.

Whenever you install from Debian, look at what is going to be installed
or removed, and _don't_ do it if it's going to change anything important
(and "important" includes anything you don't understand).  If you use
apt to install, then it's OK if anything new needs to be installed, but
probably not if it wants to downgrade or remove any existing packages.

Generally, apt won't install anything that has already been superceded
by Ubuntu, and I don't see that it matters too much which Debian source
you use.

otoh, listen to Mario :-)  There _is_ a potential to screw your system
up.
--
derek


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: using debian sources from ubuntu

Mario Vukelic
On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 10:24 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
> _don't_ do it if it's going to change anything important
> (and "important" includes anything you don't understand)

I can live with (that as long as OP does not ask me to fix his screwed
dependencies ;) )

To the OP: in any case, always check first whether the package is
available in Ubuntu. The overwhelming majority are there, if you have
the right repos enabled (esp. universe)


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: using debian sources from ubuntu

Rob-212
Who is OP?

On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 21:02 +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 10:24 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > _don't_ do it if it's going to change anything important
> > (and "important" includes anything you don't understand)
>
> I can live with (that as long as OP does not ask me to fix his screwed
> dependencies ;) )
>
> To the OP: in any case, always check first whether the package is
> available in Ubuntu. The overwhelming majority are there, if you have
> the right repos enabled (esp. universe)
>
>


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: using debian sources from ubuntu

Mario Vukelic
On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 16:18 -0500, Rob wrote:
> Who is OP?

the Original Poster.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: using debian sources from ubuntu

kloro
In reply to this post by Rob-212
On Monday 15 December 2008, Rob wrote:
> Who is OP?

me


>
> On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 21:02 +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 10:24 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > > _don't_ do it if it's going to change anything important
> > > (and "important" includes anything you don't understand)
> >
> > I can live with (that as long as OP does not ask me to fix
> > his screwed dependencies ;) )
> >
> > To the OP: in any case, always check first whether the
> > package is available in Ubuntu. The overwhelming majority are
> > there, if you have the right repos enabled (esp. universe)



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users