using network printers, what non-cups things exist?

using network printers, what non-cups things exist?

Mike Marchywka

I spent most of yesterday trying to get an HP OfficeJet to print from 16.04
despite
having had good luck previously using it and an older DeskJet as a scanner
with hp-scan. It turned out that
one problem was the cartridges- the color test page printed something
and then apparently the black and white text failed to print.
However, there were a lot of "failed filter" messages and using
lpr with raw output at least got a piece of paper to feed. I only
have a few peripherals at a time and print rarely. I don't
really need any of this stuff. Is there any way to just print
a file as a one liner?

cat file_to_print | some_conversion_prgram | favorite_socket_output_program

I think at some point it complained about a missing foomatic component
and installing that took out my cups. Reinstalling from the cups.org
website allowed me to update during recovery but I've now
got a bunch of things like net-snmp and hplip projects that
even after installing only seem to be found by each other by setting
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include the project lib dirs...

Right now I think if I change the cartridge it will probably work
but I still have a mess and a set of conversion programs, or just
one, and maybe with a device driver, and something to just
dump the converted file to a jetdirect port or something
would be great. I don't need a print queue, if I'm really
in a hurry there is always "&" lol.

I was also horrified to find that the hp-xxx utilities seem to
require a gui in many cases.

Any comments?

Thanks.

--

mike marchywka
306 charles cox

Re: using network printers, what non-cups things exist?

Florian Diesch
Am 2019-11-11 11:24, schrieb Mike Marchywka:

> I spent most of yesterday trying to get an HP OfficeJet to print from
> 16.04
> despite
> having had good luck previously using it and an older DeskJet as a
> scanner
> with hp-scan. It turned out that
> one problem was the cartridges- the color test page printed something
> and then apparently the black and white text failed to print.
> However, there were a lot of "failed filter" messages and using
> lpr with raw output at least got a piece of paper to feed. I only
> have a few peripherals at a time and print rarely. I don't
> really need any of this stuff. Is there any way to just print
> a file as a one liner?

Have a look at LPRng and ifhp

Re: using network printers, what non-cups things exist?

Peter Flynn
On 11/11/2019 10:24, Mike Marchywka wrote:

> I spent most of yesterday trying to get an HP OfficeJet to print from 16.04

I long ago gave up getting the drivers that come with CUPS to print on
HP devices. I always use HP's hplip from their web site at
https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/gethplip
It's tedious to install but it has always worked for me even on very
recent HP printers, especially on wide (A3) printers for which the
native CUPS drivers are almost always broken (only printing an A4-sized
area on the A3 paper even when configured for A3).

An alternative, if you have a Mac, is to install the printer there, and
then go and find the driver (the .ppd file) that was installed, and copy
it to your Linux box, and use CUPS to install the printer using that.

Peter

Re: using network printers, what non-cups things exist?

Brian-277
On Mon 11 Nov 2019 at 10:24:28 +0000, Mike Marchywka wrote:

> I spent most of yesterday trying to get an HP OfficeJet to print from 16.04

Model?

[...]

> I was also horrified to find that the hp-xxx utilities seem to
> require a gui in many cases.

I doubt that is the case.

--
Brian.

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 12:26:52PM +0000, Brian wrote:
> On Mon 11 Nov 2019 at 10:24:28 +0000, Mike Marchywka wrote:
>
> > I spent most of yesterday trying to get an HP OfficeJet to print from 16.04
>
> Model?
It self-identifies as 5255 on the case which IIRC is what the LCD says too :)
I finally got it to work by changing the black cartridge, I have no
idea which things worked before except for that but many failed
filter messages and no paper feed :)

> [...]
>
> > I was also horrified to find that the hp-xxx utilities seem to
> > require a gui in many cases.
>
> I doubt that is the case.

Here is one example that gui message comes up all the time but
usually the stuff executes anyway so it may be more spurious
than accurate,

 hp-print

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.19.8)
Print Utility ver. 4.0

Copyright (c) 2001-18 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

warning: GUI Modules PyQt4 and PyQt5 are not installed
error: hp-print requires GUI support (try running with --qt3). Exiting.

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 11:41:04AM +0100, Florian Diesch wrote:

> Am 2019-11-11 11:24, schrieb Mike Marchywka:
> > I spent most of yesterday trying to get an HP
> > OfficeJet to print from 16.04
> > despite
> > having had good luck previously using it and an
> > older DeskJet as a scanner
> > with hp-scan. It turned out that
> > one problem was the cartridges- the color test page printed something
> > and then apparently the black and white text failed to print.
> > However, there were a lot of "failed filter" messages and using
> > lpr with raw output at least got a piece of paper to feed. I only
> > have a few peripherals at a time and print rarely. I don't
> > really need any of this stuff. Is there any way to just print
> > a file as a one liner?
>
> Have a look at LPRng and ifhp

Thanks, but what else is really needed besides a format convert and
socket output program? Both should be easy to find. An ampersand is
all the queue I need :) It is not like the network printer is actually
a device that needs a kernel module to support right?

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 11:45:18AM +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:
> On 11/11/2019 10:24, Mike Marchywka wrote:
> >
> > I spent most of yesterday trying to get an HP OfficeJet to print from 16.04
>
> I long ago gave up getting the drivers that come with CUPS to print on HP
> devices. I always use HP's hplip from their web site at

I think when I got cups from their website, the readme claimed there was
a more or less universal ipp thing or something but probably when I tested
that the cartridge was bad so don't remember if that worked. Also the latest
cup kept segfaulting  ( apparently 2.3 and it did say may have bugs but I backed
up and that worked ),
README - CUPS v2.3.0 - 2019-08-21
=================================

CUPS currently uses PPD (PostScript Printer Description) files that describe
printer capabilities and driver programs needed for each printer.  The
`everywhere` PPD is used for nearly all modern networks printers sold since
about 2009.  For example, the following command creates a print queue for a
printer at address 11.22.33.44:

    lpadmin -p printername -E -v ipp://11.22.33.44/ipp/print -m everywhere

> https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/gethplip
> It's tedious to install but it has always worked for me even on very recent
> HP printers, especially on wide (A3) printers for which the native CUPS
> drivers are almost always broken (only printing an A4-sized area on the A3
> paper even when configured for A3).

 The tedious thing was tracking down the deps, between this and net-snmp
"make install" still left me needing to modify LD_LIBRARY_PATH and I was
in no mood to track it down :)

> An alternative, if you have a Mac, is to install the printer there, and then
> go and find the driver (the .ppd file) that was installed, and copy it to
> your Linux box, and use CUPS to install the printer using that.

At this point it would be easier to put ssh on the mac send the file there
and print from the mac :)

> Peter

mike marchywka
306 charles cox
canton GA 30115
USA, Earth
[hidden email]
404-788-1216
ORCID: 0000-0001-9237-455X

Re: using network printers, what non-cups things exist?

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Montag, den 11.11.2019, 13:15 +0000 schrieb Mike Marchywka:

> Thanks, but what else is really needed besides a format convert and
> socket output program? Both should be easy to find. An ampersand is
> all the queue I need :) It is not like the network printer is
> actually
> a device that needs a kernel module to support right?

not kernel module support but a translation into the right postscript
commands:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostScript_Printer_Description

this translation is the other feature cups gives you beyond a queue ...
:)

also note that cups is socket activated since at least 14.04, so it
will not permanently run if you have it installed but only if you
actually print. so after all istalling cups will only occupy some disk
space.

ciao
        oli

Re: using network printers, what non-cups things exist?

Ian Bruntlett
Hi Brian,

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 at 12:29, Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon 11 Nov 2019 at 10:24:28 +0000, Mike Marchywka wrote:
> I was also horrified to find that the hp-xxx utilities seem to
> require a gui in many cases.

I doubt that is the case.

I have an HP LaserJet and have found from experience that installing the package hplip-gui before attempting to connect my printer for the first time is a Good Idea.. I've taken a peek at the HPLIP software and it appears to be written in Python (which I can read but am not an expert in) and uses the PyQt GUI library.

HTH,

Ian

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 02:28:11PM +0100, Oliver Grawert wrote:

> hi,
> Am Montag, den 11.11.2019, 13:15 +0000 schrieb Mike Marchywka:
> >
> > Thanks, but what else is really needed besides a format convert and
> > socket output program? Both should be easy to find. An ampersand is
> > all the queue I need :) It is not like the network printer is
> > actually
> > a device that needs a kernel module to support right?
>
> not kernel module support but a translation into the right postscript
> commands:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostScript_Printer_Description
>
> this translation is the other feature cups gives you beyond a queue ...
> :)

Isn't there some query scheme worked out to just ask it during
discovery? I'm willing to send a few pages of unsupported post
script to it instead of downloading hundreds of "things" ...

On Mon 11 Nov 2019 at 14:16:35 +0000, Mike Marchywka wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 02:28:11PM +0100, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> > hi,
> > Am Montag, den 11.11.2019, 13:15 +0000 schrieb Mike Marchywka:
> > >
> > > Thanks, but what else is really needed besides a format convert and
> > > socket output program? Both should be easy to find. An ampersand is
> > > all the queue I need :) It is not like the network printer is
> > > actually
> > > a device that needs a kernel module to support right?
> >
> > not kernel module support but a translation into the right postscript
> > commands:
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostScript_Printer_Description
> >
> > this translation is the other feature cups gives you beyond a queue ...
> > :)
>
> Isn't there some query scheme worked out to just ask it during
> discovery? I'm willing to send a few pages of unsupported post
> script to it instead of downloading hundreds of "things" ...

PostScript is not an acceptable PDL to send to a OfficeJet 5255.

--
Brian.

Re: using network printers, what non-cups things exist?

Robert Heller
At Mon, 11 Nov 2019 15:40:46 +0000 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon 11 Nov 2019 at 14:16:35 +0000, Mike Marchywka wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 02:28:11PM +0100, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> > > hi,

> > > not kernel module support but a translation into the right postscript
> > > commands:
> > >
> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostScript_Printer_Description
> > >
> > > this translation is the other feature cups gives you beyond a queue ...
> > > :)
> >
> > Isn't there some query scheme worked out to just ask it during
> > discovery? I'm willing to send a few pages of unsupported post
> > script to it instead of downloading hundreds of "things" ...
>
> PostScript is not an acceptable PDL to send to a OfficeJet 5255.
Right. PostScript is *page* oriented and *Inkjet* printers are generally NOT
*page* oriented -- they print some number of dot-rows. Inkjet printers are
really just high resolution dot-matrix printers and from a software /
interface point of view are *exactly* like the old dot-matrix impact printers
of yeateryear (just no actual "impact", no ribbon, many more "dots" and
generally 3 or 4 colors).

*Laser* printers are *page* oriented and many Laser printers support
PostScript.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

On Mon 11 Nov 2019 at 13:21:38 +0000, Mike Marchywka wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 11:45:18AM +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:
> > On 11/11/2019 10:24, Mike Marchywka wrote:
> > >
> > > I spent most of yesterday trying to get an HP OfficeJet to print from 16.04
> >
> > I long ago gave up getting the drivers that come with CUPS to print on HP
> > devices. I always use HP's hplip from their web site at
>
> I think when I got cups from their website, the readme claimed there was
> a more or less universal ipp thing or something but probably when I tested
> that the cartridge was bad so don't remember if that worked. Also the latest
> cup kept segfaulting  ( apparently 2.3 and it did say may have bugs but I backed
> up and that worked ),
> README - CUPS v2.3.0 - 2019-08-21
> =================================
>

> CUPS currently uses PPD (PostScript Printer Description) files that describe
> printer capabilities and driver programs needed for each printer.  The
> `everywhere` PPD is used for nearly all modern networks printers sold since
> about 2009.  For example, the following command creates a print queue for a
> printer at address 11.22.33.44:
>
>     lpadmin -p printername -E -v ipp://11.22.33.44/ipp/print -m everywhere

You tried this, considering you went to the trouble of installing a
modern CUPS? The HPLIP software is not involved in setting up this
queue.

--
Brian.

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 at 17:46, Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:
You tried this, considering you went to the trouble of installing a
modern CUPS? The HPLIP software is not involved in setting up this
queue.

The hplip software also provides the command "hp-doctor" to try and fix problems which is also described in a man page.

HTH,

Ian

Re: using network printers, what non-cups things exist?

Peter Flynn
On 11/11/2019 13:12, Mike Marchywka wrote:
[...]
> HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.19.8)

Current version is 3.19.11

Peter

On 11/11/2019 13:21, Mike Marchywka wrote:

>> CUPS currently uses PPD (PostScript Printer Description) files that
>> describe printer capabilities and driver programs needed for each
>> printer.

AFAIK *all* printer manager programs (CUPS and whatever Windows's is
called, and some of the weird proprietary things used elsewhere; but
probably not printer managers on Android) use PPDs to define the
capabilities of each printer.

The fact that PPDs are written in the Postscript language is a
historical artifact — it does not mean that any given printer actually
supports Postscript as a PDL.

> The tedious thing was tracking down the deps,

hplip should install all the needed dependencies. It has done so each
time I've installed it, but your system may have different requirements.

Peter