virtual terminal from GNOME?

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

virtual terminal from GNOME?

Thufir Hawat
I'm on 17.10 and want to get to a virtual terminal, CLI.  How do I do
that?

It used to be that ctrl-alt-F1 would bring up a virtual console.



thanks,

Thufir


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: virtual terminal from GNOME?

Tom H-4
On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 5:18 PM, thufir <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm on 17.10 and want to get to a virtual terminal, CLI. How do I do
> that?
>
> It used to be that ctrl-alt-F1 would bring up a virtual console.

If your X session is on vt1, you'll have to use another vt.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: virtual terminal from GNOME?

Liam Proven
In reply to this post by Thufir Hawat
On 5 November 2017 at 23:18, thufir <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It used to be that ctrl-alt-F1 would bring up a virtual console.

Not it didn't.

It was anything from Ctrl+Alt+F1 to Ctrl+Alt+F6.


--
Liam Proven • Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn/AIM/Yahoo: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR/WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal: +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: virtual terminal from GNOME?

Thufir Hawat
On Mon, 06 Nov 2017 00:00:25 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

> On 5 November 2017 at 23:18, thufir <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It used to be that ctrl-alt-F1 would bring up a virtual console.
>
> Not it didn't.
>
> It was anything from Ctrl+Alt+F1 to Ctrl+Alt+F6.
>

well, for completeness, yes.  All CTRL+ALT+F1 does now is bring me to the
GUI login screen.  Do they not have such virtual terminals anymore??

-Thufir


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: virtual terminal from GNOME?

Thufir Hawat
In reply to this post by Tom H-4
On Sun, 05 Nov 2017 17:27:59 -0500, Tom H wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 5:18 PM, thufir <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm on 17.10 and want to get to a virtual terminal, CLI. How do I do
>> that?
>>
>> It used to be that ctrl-alt-F1 would bring up a virtual console.
>
> If your X session is on vt1, you'll have to use another vt.

?huh?

Oh, I see, right, usually the x session is vt7 as I recall.  I've tried
them all:  CTRL+ALT+F1 right to CTRL+ALT+F7 and all that happens is that
I'm logged out and have to click with the mouse to choose the user and
then enter password.


-Thufir


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: virtual terminal from GNOME?

Thufir Hawat
On Mon, 06 Nov 2017 01:33:27 +0000, thufir wrote:


>> If your X session is on vt1, you'll have to use another vt.
>
> ?huh?
>
> Oh, I see, right, usually the x session is vt7 as I recall.  I've tried
> them all:  CTRL+ALT+F1 right to CTRL+ALT+F7 and all that happens is that
> I'm logged out and have to click with the mouse to choose the user and
> then enter password.



whoops, ctrl alt f3 works.  not as many as there used to be, and it's
laggier.  But works.  ok, sorry about that.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users