virtualbox vs. virtualbox-nonfree

Bill Stanley
Hi,

I have a simple question about something I saw in the Mint repository.
There are two versions of virtualbox there.  One is virtualbox and the
other is virtualbox-nonfree.  What is the difference?  The description
says nothing about the difference.  I assume that the nonfree version is
not open source.  Maybe it refers to a fee to use it?

Bill Stanley

Re: virtualbox vs. virtualbox-nonfree

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Thu, 2017-11-30 at 12:43 -0500, Bill wrote:
> Maybe it refers to a fee to use it?

No, virtualbox is always for free as in beer. IIRC even the non-OSE
(non-"open source edition") nowadays is open source, however, loosely
speaking the binary from Oracle isn't compiled against your distro's
libraries and usually works with less issues, than the OSE compiled
against shared libraries of your distro, it has got less dependencies
than the version from your distro. I suspect that Mint provides a
package with the binary from Oracle and another package with a binary
compiled against libraries of your distro's repositories. Another
difference might be, that your distro provides a package with kernel
modules for the distro's binary, while dkms likely needs to build the
modules for the binary from Oracle.

Re: virtualbox vs. virtualbox-nonfree

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Donnerstag, den 30.11.2017, 12:43 -0500 schrieb Bill:
> Hi,
>
> I have a simple question about something I saw in the Mint
> repository.
> There are two versions of virtualbox there.  One is virtualbox and
> the
> other is virtualbox-nonfree.  What is the difference?

this is an old and obsolete packaging split that has long been dropped
in the ubuntu archive, you should perhaps ask in a mint forum/mailing
list why they keep it around, in ubuntu that free/nonfree distinction
does not exist anymore ...

ciao
        oli

On 11/30/2017 08:39 PM, Oliver Grawert wrote:

> hi,
> Am Donnerstag, den 30.11.2017, 12:43 -0500 schrieb Bill:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a simple question about something I saw in the Mint
>> repository.
>> There are two versions of virtualbox there.  One is virtualbox and
>> the
>> other is virtualbox-nonfree.  What is the difference?
> this is an old and obsolete packaging split that has long been dropped
> in the ubuntu archive, you should perhaps ask in a mint forum/mailing
> list why they keep it around, in ubuntu that free/nonfree distinction
> does not exist anymore ...
>
> ciao
> oli
WS=> Thanks for the information.  I guess that I should upgrade to the
virtualxob-nonfree version.

One more question, would it be best if I completely erase the old
virtualbox before installing the new version or would just installing
virtualbox-nonfree just supersede the older version.  I'm guessing that
since they have different names, it would be best to delete the old
version first.

On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 21:41:02 -0500, Bill wrote:
>I guess that I should upgrade to the virtualxob-nonfree version.

While the non-OSE binary from Oracle is much more stable than the
versions provided by official distro repositories, Linux distros
usually do not provide the binary from Oracle, so it could become
tricky, if you should do a release upgrade of your distro, IOW if
virtualxob-nonfree shouldn't be available in the future.

>One more question, would it be best if I completely erase the old
>virtualbox before installing the new version or would just installing
>virtualbox-nonfree just supersede the older version.  I'm guessing
>that since they have different names, it would be best to delete the
>old version first.

If official repositories from your distro should provide both versions,
or if one package should be provided by a third party repository from
somebody who knows what to do, than you only need to upgrade, since the
package should contain "Conflicts"/"Replaces" entries. OTOH if you
should _purge_ [1] you would get rid of conflicting configurations, but
the virtualbox packages unlikely contain conflicting configurations
outside of /home and the configurations inside /home shouldn't
really conflict, at worst you need to take a look at the virtualbox
preferences, because it warns you, if a feature you chose should be
missing for a virtualbox version you installed.

[1]
[root@moonstudio ~]# man apt-get | grep purge\
               install pkg [{=pkg_version_number
| /target_release}]...  | remove pkg...  | purge pkg...  | source pkg
[{=pkg_version_number | /target_release}]...  | purge is identical to
remove except that packages are removed and purged (any configuration
files are deleted too). Use purge instead of remove for anything that
would be removed. An asterisk ("*") will be displayed next to packages
which are scheduled to be purged.  remove --purge is equivalent to the
purge command. Configuration Item: APT::Get::Purge.

On 30 November 2017 at 18:43, Bill <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a simple question about something I saw in the Mint repository.
> There are two versions of virtualbox there.  One is virtualbox and the other
> is virtualbox-nonfree.  What is the difference?  The description says
> nothing about the difference.  I assume that the nonfree version is not open
> source.  Maybe it refers to a fee to use it?

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=206658

Usually the version from virtualbox.org is newer. You can add their
repository if you wish and then APT will pull it straight from the
developers.

Instructions on the download page.

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads