vmware - netorking

Dimitri Mallis
hi all

my network was working great until i installed vmware player. i can still ping other pc's & ssh into them but i cant browse network folders & im guessing its because of vmwares network thing it auto installed. how can i either completely uninstall vmware & all its settings & configuration files or just disable any networking... or maybe the problem lies stemware else?

thanks

Re: vmware - netorking

Dimitri Mallis
i used automatix to in stall vmware & it so not in aptitude's list for me to uninstall

Re: [OBORONA-SPAM] vmware - netorking

Gabriel Dragffy
On Sat, 2006-10-07 at 11:43 +0200, Dimitri Mallis wrote:

> hi all
>
> my network was working great until i installed vmware player. i can
> still ping other pc's & ssh into them but i cant browse network
> folders & im guessing its because of vmwares network thing it auto
> installed. how can i either completely uninstall vmware & all its
> settings & configuration files or just disable any networking... or
> maybe the problem lies stemware else?
>
> thanks

you should be able to uninstall using:
sudo /usr/bin/vmware-uninstall.pl

if that doesn't work, try:
sudo /usr/local/bin/vmware-uninstall.pl

if you want to try reconfiguring vmware use:
sudo /usr/local/bin/vmware-config.plsudo
or
sudo /usr/local/bin/vmware-config.pl

To be honest I can't really begin to guess what your problem might be
without more information on your networking situation. It doesn't seem
likely that vmware is causing the problems but perhaps some firewalling.
I don't know though. Just wish you good luck!

Re: vmware - netorking

Eberhard Roloff
Dimitri Mallis wrote:

> i used automatix to in stall vmware & it so not in aptitude's list for me
> to uninstall
You could try to install vmware server. With my install, the previously
installed (from source) vmware player was simply gone, after I installed
the vmware server deb package.

As an added bonus, you then have vmware server as a package in the package
list and, most important for your problem, you can very easily graphically
set up and modify networking of your VMs, without the need for rather
clumsy modifications of text based config files in the case of vmware
player.

Note: In order to get the vmware server deb-package I downloaded the rpm
packages of server and console and then used alien to convert to deb. While
this is considered to be "kind of dirty" by many, it is dead easy and works
like a charm for any version of vmware server, since I installed my first
one on ubuntu.

regards
Eberhard