which ubuntu package contains tputs

Harry Putnam
anyone know which ubuntu pkg contains tputs  Google hasn't been too
helpful.

Its needed to compile emacs from source

Re: which ubuntu package contains tputs

Normand Marion-2
ncurses-bin: /usr/bin/tput

Le mar. 29 sept. 2020, à 20 h 45, Harry Putnam <[hidden email]> a écrit :
anyone know which ubuntu pkg contains tputs  Google hasn't been too
helpful.

Its needed to compile emacs from source

Normand Marion

Re: which ubuntu package contains tputs

Robert Heller
At Tue, 29 Sep 2020 20:42:53 -0400 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> anyone know which ubuntu pkg contains tputs  Google hasn't been too
> helpful.
>
> Its needed to compile emacs from source

libncurses5-dev is what I needed to compile Jasspa MicroEmacs from source on a
Raspberry Pi -- and libncurses5-dev contains /usr/include/term.h, which is
where tputs is defined...

curses / ncurses is the low-level tty cursor hacking library, commonly used by
editors and such, using termcap for a terminal type lookup.

--
Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364

Normand Marion <[hidden email]> writes:

> ncurses-bin: /usr/bin/tput

Harry reponds:
The reference is to tputs with an [s] required to compile emacs-28

I've got it sorted now... thanks

Robert Heller <[hidden email]> writes:

> At Tue, 29 Sep 2020 20:42:53 -0400 "Ubuntu user technical support, not
> for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> anyone know which ubuntu pkg contains tputs  Google hasn't been too
>> helpful.
>>
>> Its needed to compile emacs from source
>
> libncurses5-dev is what I needed to compile Jasspa MicroEmacs from source on a
> Raspberry Pi -- and libncurses5-dev contains /usr/include/term.h, which is
> where tputs is defined...
>
> curses / ncurses is the low-level tty cursor hacking library, commonly used by
> editors and such, using termcap for a terminal type lookup.

Thanks for the input, somehow I got it sorted without libncurses5-dev,
not sure what I did as I tried several things.

At any rate, I installed libncurses5-dev anyway, after the fact.