wiped disk - no longer bootable

1234 ... 6

wiped disk - no longer bootable

Volker Wysk
Hi

The problems pile up. I've wiped the first megabyte of both devices
(HDD and SSD), because I got a message on boot which sayed that the
disk with a specific ID can't be found. Using "dd if=/dev/zero
of=/dev/sda ...". Then installed Ubuntu again, which appeared to
succeed. But when booting now, it says that there is no bootable medium.

So I have wiped something which I shouldn't. How do I restore that? It
doesn't seem to be something which fdisk does.

:-(

Bye
Volker

Re: wiped disk - no longer bootable

ubuntu-users mailing list
Initialize the HDD and the SSD by generating new MBRs (or if you
prefer GPTs) and reformat them with virgin ext4 partitions. Don't use
encryption, LVM or anything special, such as e.g. raid at all. At best
use MBR for testing purpose and even if you should be in favour of
another FS, stay with ext4 for testing purpose.

For trouble shooting strictly follow
KISS, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle, at least as far as
possible with Ubuntu or an Ubuntu flavour. Way better, if you have got
the skills to do so, even consider to test with Arch Linux, Gentoo or
even FreeBSD (FreeBSD OTOH is similar to LVM by default ;), or if
possible at least by using the Ubuntu server image, Ubuntu mini
whatsoever, net or so thingy.

Btw. what ISO are you using, in case of "Ubuntu" consider to try
Xubuntu or Ubuntu Mate, or if you want to stay closer to gnomish Ubuntu,
maybe Ubuntu Budgie, as a gnomish alternative. Just try anything
different of what you were using until now.

Re: wiped disk - no longer bootable

Compdoc@hotrodpc.com
On 7/9/19 7:05 AM, Volker Wysk wrote:

> The problems pile up. I've wiped the first megabyte of both devices

Boot Gparted and create new partition tables, MBR or GPT, and install
the OS on the SSD. The idea that a cache is better than just running
from the SSD is false. Caches use algorithms to decide the most
frequently used files, then place those files in the cache. All of that
takes time. Small amounts of time, but still...

With the OS on the SSD, all system files and program files are quickly
available, and loading pictures directly is better than waiting for the
cache to do its thing.

On Tue, 2019-07-09 at 07:54 -0600, compdoc wrote:
> The idea that a cache is better than just running from the SSD is false.

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

I'm using cheap SATA3 SSDs only, no PCIe SSDs and since they are cheap,
they don't come with an exorbitant amount of cache. My machine is hard a
real-time usage machine. A less good SATA3 SSD without any special cache
thingy is fast as lightning. Most, if not all machines suffer from other
performance bottlenecks.

On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 16:03:01 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
>My machine is hard a real-time usage machine.
               a "hard real-time" machine

Bad typing :D

Re: wiped disk - no longer bootable

Ok, my replies regarding cache and SSDs sound nonreflective.

What I tried to point out.

Get a case or docking station for your HDD and make it a backup drive.

Use SSDs only for the machine. If you want to improve something by
cache, then just a huge amount of RAM might make sense. RAM without any
freakish settings, since Linux by default does use RAM in a smart way,
e.g. as cache.

Btw. you hopefully don't use a swap on your HDD ;). In practise even
swap on the SSD should be completely untouched.

Zitat von Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users <[hidden email]>:

> Initialize the HDD and the SSD by generating new MBRs (or if you
> prefer GPTs) and reformat them with virgin ext4 partitions.

Sorry, I couldn't find out how to create an MBR from scratch.

> Don't use
> encryption, LVM or anything special, such as e.g. raid at all. At best
> use MBR for testing purpose and even if you should be in favour of
> another FS, stay with ext4 for testing purpose.

Okay, that's what I was trying last.

> For trouble shooting strictly follow
> KISS, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle, at least as far as
> possible with Ubuntu or an Ubuntu flavour. Way better, if you have got
> the skills to do so, even consider to test with Arch Linux, Gentoo or
> even FreeBSD (FreeBSD OTOH is similar to LVM by default ;), or if
> possible at least by using the Ubuntu server image, Ubuntu mini
> whatsoever, net or so thingy.
>
> Btw. what ISO are you using, in case of "Ubuntu" consider to try
> Xubuntu or Ubuntu Mate, or if you want to stay closer to gnomish Ubuntu,
> maybe Ubuntu Budgie, as a gnomish alternative. Just try anything
> different of what you were using until now.

I'm trying it with vanilla Ubuntu 19.04.

When the problem first struck, I was on Kubuntu. Now Ubuntu, but still broken.

Good bye,

On Tue, 2019-07-09 at 18:35 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
> Zitat von Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Initialize the HDD and the SSD by generating new MBRs (or if you
> > prefer GPTs) and reformat them with virgin ext4 partitions.
>
> Sorry, I couldn't find out how to create an MBR from scratch.

My apologies, it's just not my day, as you might have noticed by some of
my other replies :D.

I should have written less about KISS, but instead give the hint
fortunately compdoc provided on Tue, 2019-07-09 at 07:54 -0600:

> Boot Gparted and create new partition tables, MBR or GPT

AFAIK all Ubuntu and Ubuntu flavor desktop live media by default come
with gparted, so you don't need to burn a new media. If I should be
mistaken, you just need to run

  sudo apt update && sudo apt install gparted

after booting an Ubuntu {,flavour} live media.

On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 18:35:14 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:

>Zitat von Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
>> Don't use encryption, LVM or anything special, such as e.g. raid at
>> all. At best use MBR for testing purpose and even if you should be
>> in favour of another FS, stay with ext4 for testing purpose.
>
>Okay, that's what I was trying last.
>
>> Btw. what ISO are you using, in case of "Ubuntu" consider to try
>> Xubuntu or Ubuntu Mate, or if you want to stay closer to gnomish
>> Ubuntu, maybe Ubuntu Budgie, as a gnomish alternative. Just try
>> anything different of what you were using until now.
>
>I'm trying it with vanilla Ubuntu 19.04.
>
>When the problem first struck, I was on Kubuntu. Now Ubuntu, but still
>broken.

In what way is Ubuntu broken?

I already suspect a hardware failure, but to be completely sure,
install a 16.04 Xubuntu as well as a 16.04 Ubuntu Mate.

If the 16.04 installs should work, then install a 19.04 Xubuntu and a
19.04 Ubuntu Mate.

Re: wiped disk - no longer bootable

Liam Proven
On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 at 18:57, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I already suspect a hardware failure, but to be completely sure,
> install a 16.04 Xubuntu as well as a 16.04 Ubuntu Mate.

I agree.

I would also add: pick ``memtest86+'' from the CD boot menu, and leave
it running overnight.

Re: wiped disk - no longer bootable

I'm in favour of using a mobo for around 10 years, actually my last mobo
was borked after around 7 or 8 years. I've got the skills to repair
broken hardware myself, let alone that a friend of mine has got way
more skills than I've got and at work he has got special equipment at
hand, such as e.g. hot air soldering. However, at some point, "borked"
is literally for "borked" ;).

Zitat von Volker Wysk <[hidden email]>:

> Hi
>
> The problems pile up. I've wiped the first megabyte of both devices
> (HDD and SSD), because I got a message on boot which sayed that the
> disk with a specific ID can't be found. Using "dd if=/dev/zero
> of=/dev/sda ...". Then installed Ubuntu again, which appeared to
> succeed. But when booting now, it says that there is no bootable
> medium.
>
> So I have wiped something which I shouldn't. How do I restore that?
> It doesn't seem to be something which fdisk does.

It's crazy. I've done this:

sfdisk -d /dev/sda > /tmp/sda.bak
sfdisk /dev/sda < /tmp/sda.bak

And now the system boots again! (It's a fresh KISS Ubuntu 19.04.)

It's from https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-copy-mbr/ .

The installation of Ubuntu was terribly slow. It hung at the message
"Hole die Datei ... von ..." ("Downloading(?) file ... of ..."). The
counter counted up very slowly. Seems like the Ubuntu servers are
overloaded.

Puzzled,
Volker

Re: wiped disk - no longer bootable

Volker Wysk

Zitat von Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, 2019-07-09 at 18:35 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
>> Zitat von Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> > Initialize the HDD and the SSD by generating new MBRs (or if you
>> > prefer GPTs) and reformat them with virgin ext4 partitions.
>>
>> Sorry, I couldn't find out how to create an MBR from scratch.
>
> My apologies, it's just not my day, as you might have noticed by some of
> my other replies :D.

To whom are you telling this...

> I should have written less about KISS, but instead give the hint
> fortunately compdoc provided on Tue, 2019-07-09 at 07:54 -0600:
>
>> Boot Gparted and create new partition tables, MBR or GPT
>
> AFAIK all Ubuntu and Ubuntu flavor desktop live media by default come
> with gparted, so you don't need to burn a new media. If I should be
> mistaken, you just need to run
>
>   sudo apt update && sudo apt install gparted
>
> after booting an Ubuntu {,flavour} live media.

So Gparted is a regular program, not something that is to be booted
("Boot Gparted"). That was confusing.

I'm trying to repair my SSD (/dev/sdb) now, using GParted. I select
"create partition table" in the "device" menu. It asks for which
partition table type to use, but "MBR" isn't listed. "msdos" is the
default, "gpt" is in the list.

So I just chose GPT. (Googled a little about the difference, and it
tells you that MBR is just outdated in regard to GPT).

On Tue, 2019-07-09 at 19:52 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
> And now the system boots again! (It's a fresh KISS Ubuntu 19.04.)

Ubuntu GNOME is everything, but KISS ;).

> The installation of Ubuntu was terribly slow. It hung at the message [snip]
> The counter counted up very slowly. [snip]

Most likely a broken drive, second likely a broken controller of the
mobo or another part of the mobo is the culprit.

I wouldn't be surprised, if some GNOME shell install or even some other
Ubuntu flavor wouldn't run on old hardware, but if the installation
already is slow, then most likely fishy hardware is the cause, it's even
not much likely that the PEBCAK.

Shouting! Bootcamp mode! Did you replace the fine battery and
restore/upgarde the BIOS? Assuming you are using several RAM bars, did
remove all, excepted of one RAM bar and after that did replace the RAM
bar by one after another RAM bar? That's way more meaningful then
running Memtest.

"Sustainable future" + "budget" vs "the effort of
maintenance/troubleshooting + "human mortality".

On 7/9/19 12:19 PM, Volker Wysk wrote:
> So Gparted is a regular program, not something that is to be booted
> ("Boot Gparted"). That was confusing.

No, gparted can be downloaded and booted directly, and it also comes
installed on the live DVD. Or you can install it yourself and run it
from Ubuntu.

However, to change or create the partition table on the drives, they
must not be mounted so you must boot gparted for that.

Also know that when you change the partition table, all existing
partitions are wiped away.

On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 20:19:06 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
>"msdos"

The good news, this is "MBR" :).

The bad news, it's not much likely that the cause is a software issue or
that you miss the forest for the trees (nice formulation for you are
most likely not an idiot as to the issue).

Get used to the idea, that hardware is broken.

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 20:51:36 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>Get used to the idea, that hardware is broken.
                                     ^^ no, no, get used to the idea
                                     that hardware might be broken. It
                                     not necessarily is broken.

Zitat von compdoc <[hidden email]>:

> On 7/9/19 12:19 PM, Volker Wysk wrote:
>> So Gparted is a regular program, not something that is to be booted
>> ("Boot Gparted"). That was confusing.
>
> No, gparted can be downloaded and booted directly, and it also comes
> installed on the live DVD. Or you can install it yourself and run it
> from Ubuntu.
>
> However, to change or create the partition table on the drives, they
> must not be mounted so you must boot gparted for that.

Or boot from an USB stick and use it from there.

> Also know that when you change the partition table, all existing
> partitions are wiped away.

Okay, Thnx

On 7/9/19 1:00 PM, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:

> It not necessarily is broken.

Agreed, there is no proof that any hardware is broken.

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 at 19:54, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's crazy. I've done this:
>
> sfdisk -d /dev/sda > /tmp/sda.bak
> sfdisk /dev/sda < /tmp/sda.bak
>
> And now the system boots again! (It's a fresh KISS Ubuntu 19.04.)

For me, more evidence of hardware problems.

> The installation of Ubuntu was terribly slow. It hung at the message
> "Hole die Datei ... von ..." ("Downloading(?) file ... of ..."). The
> counter counted up very slowly. Seems like the Ubuntu servers are
> overloaded.

If you try again, untick the option to download updates while installing.

1234 ... 6