wiped disk - no longer bootable

Re: Filesystem corruption (was: wiped disk - no longer bootable)

Sarunas Burdulis-3
On 7/10/19 7:54 AM, Volker Wysk wrote:

>> To replace the BIOS modern
>> mobos, even 10 years old mobos, usually provide an option via USB, if
>> you should have bad luck, then you need a Windows install or at least a
>> DOS live media. You could download the BIOS (update) and a user manual
>> from the mobo vendor's homepage.
>
> What does "option via usb" mean? The mobo downloading the upgrade from an USB
> stick? I've looked around in the BIOS, but haven't seen anything like that.
>
> I also don't know the mobo vendor. There is printed "ASUS M5A7BLLE", or
> something like this, on it. It's hard to read. Is that the vendor and model
> number?
To get BIOS reset/upgrade info you'll need your motherboard's manual.
You can get it from ASUS (https://www.asus.com/support), but you'll need
a model number. As you noticed, it's printed on the motherboard, but can
also be found out from a running Linux system, using 'dmidecode' or
'lshw' and possibly some other utilities. For example:

$ sudo dmidecode|less
... ... ...
Handle 0x0002, DMI type 2, 15 bytes
Base Board Information
        Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
        Product Name: PRIME X370-A
        Version: Rev X.0x
... ... ...

Motherboard model is 'PRIME X370-A'.

Regarding your HDD and SSD issues, you probably already did this, but
just in case: try replacing SATA cables.

Good luck.

--
Sarunas Burdulis
Systems Administrator, Dartmouth Mathematics

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 at 13:56, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't have to skill to do that. The battery has been replaced in the
> computer shop, where I brought the machine.  I don't know where to look for
> the battery, or what pins to shortcut...

You are being very inconsistent here.

On the one hand you are insisting that you want an exceedingly complex
disk configuration that is scaring me, as a jadad professional of over
30 years' experience.

Then the next minute you can't change a battery?

*Really*?

> What does "option via usb" mean? The mobo downloading the upgrade from an USB
> stick?

Yes, exactly that.

But this is one reason I am suggesting dual-booting with Windows.

> I also don't know the mobo vendor. There is printed "ASUS M5A7BLLE", or
> something like this, on it. It's hard to read. Is that the vendor and model
> number?

ASUS is the make.

The rest is the model.

Did you try putting it into Google?

If you did you would have found that it seems to be a typo.

I think you meant

M5A78L LE

It's here:

https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/M5A78L%20LE/HelpDesk/

Check your BIOS version, since you have not told us. See what they
have for download. If it's newer, update it.

> I don't have Windows, never had.

May be worth it.

> But could it really be the BIOS, being defective?

Yes.
BIOSes are software. Software has bugs.

Re: Filesystem corruption

Compdoc@hotrodpc.com
On 7/10/19 5:54 AM, Volker Wysk wrote:

> But could it really be the BIOS, being defective?

If everything worked fine for a long time its doubtful the bios is the
problem, however I always make sure the bios is the latest available.
There can be bugs fixed in the bios versions, and they often make minor
changes to make the system work better with various brands of ram.

In your case, the last bios released was Version 2101 released on
2015/04/23. You would  need to see what version you have, and then read
the instructions on how to flash.

M5A78L LE BIOS 2101

Re: wiped disk - no longer bootable

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 12:26:46 +0000, Mike Marchywka wrote:
>No one is drinking circuit boards

But we breathe while soldering, IIRC by law we needed to solder <= 190°C
to reduce halogens in the air. The temperature (190°C or what ever else
it was) wasn't an issue, when using classic leaded solder.

>If you look at overall junk creation by making repair impossible you
>can see even with green technologies there are a lot of tradeoffs

Even if repair is possible, usually it doesn't pay to repair
predetermined breaking points or end of support computer gear.

Re: Filesystem corruption

Compdoc@hotrodpc.com
On 7/10/19 5:54 AM, Volker Wysk wrote:

> But could it really be the BIOS, being defective?

Here are the various bios releases for your board and the main reasons
for each release:

Version 2101
2015/04/23
M5A78L LE BIOS 2101
Enhance compatibility with some USB devices.

Version 2001
2014/08/29
M5A78L LE BIOS 2001
Improve system stability.

Version 1802
2013/12/19
M5A78L LE BIOS 1802
Improve system stability.

Version 1601
2013/01/22
M5A78L LE BIOS 1601
Add LAN 8111F support.

Version 1503
2012/12/04
M5A78L LE BIOS 1503
1.Improve system stability.
2.Improve memory compatibility.

Version 1401
2012/09/11
M5A78L LE BIOS 1401
Improve system stability.

Version 1201
2012/08/02
M5A78L LE BIOS 1201
Improve system stability.

Version 1003
2012/04/10
M5A78L LE BIOS 1003
Improve system stability.

Version 0902
2012/02/28
M5A78L LE BIOS 0902
Improve memory compatibility.

Version 0801
2011/12/09
M5A78L-LE BIOS 0801
"1. Improve system stability
2. Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at:
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us"

Version 0604
2011/10/09
M5A78L LE 0604 BIOS
Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at:
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Version 0503
2011/10/06
M5A78L LE 0503 BIOS
Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at:
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Version 0407
2011/05/05
M5A78L LE BIOS 0406
Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at:
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

Version 0202
2011/04/07
M5A78L LE BIOS 0202
Initial release

Re: Filesystem corruption (was: wiped disk - no longer bootable)

Volker Wysk
Zitat von Liam Proven <[hidden email]>:

> On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 at 13:56, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I don't have to skill to do that. The battery has been replaced in the
>> computer shop, where I brought the machine.  I don't know where to look for
>> the battery, or what pins to shortcut...
>
> You are being very inconsistent here.
>
> On the one hand you are insisting that you want an exceedingly complex
> disk configuration that is scaring me, as a jadad professional of over
> 30 years' experience.
>
> Then the next minute you can't change a battery?

I've found the battery now.

I need some time off...  Sorry...  :-((

>> What does "option via usb" mean? The mobo downloading the upgrade
>> from an USB
>> stick?
>
> Yes, exactly that.
>
> But this is one reason I am suggesting dual-booting with Windows.
>
>> I also don't know the mobo vendor. There is printed "ASUS M5A7BLLE", or
>> something like this, on it. It's hard to read. Is that the vendor and model
>> number?
>
> ASUS is the make.
>
> The rest is the model.
>
> Did you try putting it into Google?
>
> If you did you would have found that it seems to be a typo.
>
> I think you meant
>
> M5A78L LE

Yes, this can be. Like I've told, it's hard to read.

> It's here:
>
> https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/M5A78L%20LE/HelpDesk/
>
> Check your BIOS version, since you have not told us. See what they
> have for download. If it's newer, update it.

In the BIOS screen, in "System Information", under "Bios Information",
there is: "Version: 1503" and "Build Date: 11/14/12". At the bottom
there is "v02.61 (C)Copyright 1985-20011, American Megbatrends, Inc."

Let me check the link which you've provided (Asus).

>> But could it really be the BIOS, being defective?
>
> Yes.
> BIOSes are software. Software has bugs.

In the BIOS, I have found an "ASUS EZ Flash 2 tool" now. This must be
that "option via usb". It says "Press ENTER to run the utility to
select and update BIOS".

I'll dig into that!

Bye

Re: Filesystem corruption (was: wiped disk - no longer bootable)

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 15:30:31 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
>I've found the battery now.
>
>I need some time off...  Sorry...  :-((

:)

For your benefit, always pull the mains plug.
For the benefit of your computer, get rid of static charge.

I didn't read this article, excepted of the quoted part, it's funny:

"Ground Your Body

The fastest way to get rid of static electricity in the body is to let
the electricity do what it wants – discharge from your body into the
ground. To allow this, touch any conductive material not isolated from
the ground such as the screw on a light switch's panel or a metal
streetlight pole. You can also remove your shoes and socks and stand on
the ground if you are outside." -
https://sciencing.com/rid-static-electricity-body-5862942.html

>"ASUS EZ Flash 2 tool" now. This must be that "option via usb".

It is, you don't need to install Windows ;).

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 12:33:20 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>So, step 1. Put Win10 on it first. This makes it much easier to update
>your BIOS even if nothing else. You don't need a licence key or
>anything and the ISO is a free download from microsoft.com

Wouldn't it require UEFI? The OP's machine has got a legacy BIOS.
Fortunately the OP can use an USB stick or USB drive to load the BIOS
software, without an operating system. However, I guess usually
vendor's recommend to use https://www.freedos.org/, if users aren't
using a Windows and the BIOS doesn't support the USB method.

Re: wiped disk - no longer bootable

Liam Proven
On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 at 16:01, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wouldn't it require UEFI?

Win10? No. It works with both. It's the most widely-compatible OS in
the world. You can't sell an x86 box if it doesn't run Windows. It is
the lowest of all common denominators.

> The OP's machine has got a legacy BIOS.

Seems to be.

> Fortunately the OP can use an USB stick or USB drive to load the BIOS
> software, without an operating system.

Looks that way, and that's good news.

>  However, I guess usually
> vendor's recommend to use https://www.freedos.org/, if users aren't
> using a Windows and the BIOS doesn't support the USB method.

It sometimes works. Not all vendors provide re-Flashing tools that can
run under DOS.

I have even seen DOS reflashing tools that are only available for
download in a Windows self-extracting file that no Linux archiver can
open. >_<

Zitat von Volker Wysk <[hidden email]>:

> Zitat von Liam Proven <[hidden email]>:
>>> What does "option via usb" mean? The mobo downloading the upgrade
>>> from an USB
>>> stick?
>>
>> Yes, exactly that.

>> M5A78L LE
>
> Yes, this can be. Like I've told, it's hard to read.
>

>> It's here:
>>
>> https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/M5A78L%20LE/HelpDesk/
>>
>> Check your BIOS version, since you have not told us. See what they
>> have for download. If it's newer, update it.
>
> In the BIOS screen, in "System Information", under "Bios
> Information", there is: "Version: 1503" and "Build Date: 11/14/12".
> At the bottom there is "v02.61 (C)Copyright 1985-20011, American
> Megbatrends, Inc."
>
> Let me check the link which you've provided (Asus).
>
>>> But could it really be the BIOS, being defective?
>>
>> Yes.
>> BIOSes are software. Software has bugs.
>
> In the BIOS, I have found an "ASUS EZ Flash 2 tool" now. This must
> be that "option via usb". It says "Press ENTER to run the utility to
> select and update BIOS".
>
> I'll dig into that!

I've downloaded the latest BIOS update, along with the mainboard
manual. If formated an USB stick with file system FAT, and placed the
BIOS update Zip on it. When I enter the ASUS EZ Flash 2 tool (in the
BIOS), there comes the message "There are no existing drive!", and the
tool is left immediately (after keypress). It doesn't matter if the
USB stick is in plugged in the monitor or directly in the motherboard,
at the back of the PC. Or if I plug the USB stick at all.

This is strange, since I've already entered that tool before, and
there was no such message.

Looks like I won't be able to update the BIOS, isn't it?

Bye
Volker

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 at 19:49, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've downloaded the latest BIOS update, along with the mainboard
> manual. If formated an USB stick with file system FAT, and placed the
> BIOS update Zip on it.

What's in the zip?

Re: Filesystem corruption

Compdoc@hotrodpc.com
On 7/10/19 11:47 AM, Volker Wysk wrote:

> Looks like I won't be able to update the BIOS, isn't it?

You have to unzip the files and place them in the root of the usb stick.
you really only need the bios file. syas its about 800k in size

Re: Filesystem corruption (was: wiped disk - no longer bootable)

Volker Wysk

Zitat von Liam Proven <[hidden email]>:

> On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 at 19:49, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I've downloaded the latest BIOS update, along with the mainboard
>> manual. If formated an USB stick with file system FAT, and placed the
>> BIOS update Zip on it.
>
> What's in the zip?

vaio /tmp/rp $ ll M5A78L-LE-ASUS-2101.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 v v 858650 Jul 10 19:55 M5A78L-LE-ASUS-2101.zip
vaio /tmp/rp $ unzip M5A78L-LE-ASUS-2101.zip
Archive:  M5A78L-LE-ASUS-2101.zip
   inflating: M5A78L-LE-ASUS-2101.ROM
vaio /tmp/rp $ ll M5A78L-LE-ASUS-2101.ROM
-rw-r--r-- 1 v v 2097152 Apr 23  2015 M5A78L-LE-ASUS-2101.ROM
vaio /tmp/rp $ file *ROM
M5A78L-LE-ASUS-2101.ROM: data

Bye

Re: Filesystem corruption

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 11:55:25 -0600, compdoc wrote:
>On 7/10/19 11:47 AM, Volker Wysk wrote:
>> Looks like I won't be able to update the BIOS, isn't it?
>
>You have to unzip the files and place them in the root of the usb
>stick. you really only need the bios file. syas its about 800k in size

Correct, the OP needs to unzip first, however, the BIOS should be able
to access a valid fat32 partition, even if there's no usable file on
it. My old (now unused) mobo comes with this "ASUS EZ Flash 2 tool",
too.

Re: Filesystem corruption

Volker Wysk

Zitat von compdoc <[hidden email]>:

> On 7/10/19 11:47 AM, Volker Wysk wrote:
>

>> Looks like I won't be able to update the BIOS, isn't it?
>

> You have to unzip the files and place them in the root of the usb
> stick. you really only need the bios file. syas its about 800k in size

You are right. I've unpacked the ROM and placed it on the USB Stick.
Then I entered the BIOS tool again, and there was no error message any
longer. I was able to make a backup and flash the new ROM. After
rebooting, the first hard disk is found, and booted from. This means,
the other (smaller) problem with the BIOS has gone away.

That BIOS error message "There are no any drives" (or similar), when
entering the flash tool, was very misleading.

Bye!

Re: wiped disk - no longer bootable

Gene Heskett-2

wrote:

> > While in "bootcamp mode" Ralf, its often quite beneficial to remove
> > and replace the memory, since you are there anyway, run it back in
> > and out of the sockets, in to fully latched positions and back out,
> > 3 or 4 times per memory board, just to wear thru the air pollutants
> > and oxidation so as to re-establish good solid connections.
>
> Also a good idea. I second this.
>
> I haven't tried the newspaper thing but I will next time. When I've
> wanted to clean SIMM or DIMM contacts, I used a pencil eraser. The
> soft kind, *not* the hard gritty kind for trying to erase ink.

I've tried to steer clear if those unless wet.  Dry, they can generate
enough static to blow the gates it your memory.
> --
> Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
> Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus:
> [hidden email] Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn:
> liamproven UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420
> 702 829 053

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis

Re: Filesystem corruption

Compdoc@hotrodpc.com
On 7/10/19 12:24 PM, Volker Wysk wrote:

> I was able to make a backup and flash the new ROM. After rebooting,
> the first hard disk is found, and booted from. This means, the other
> (smaller) problem with the BIOS has gone away.

Great to hear. Are you not using the ssd, atm? I thought you said you
were booting from the hdd?

If so, why not power down, disconnect the hdd, place the ssd on the
first sata port in your system. (can be numbered 0 or 1)

Install ubuntu on the ssd using LVD and encryption as you like, or
normally do. I would recommend Ubuntu-Mate 18.04LTS, unless you have a
good reason to use a newer version. Newer versions are not always
stable. I use mate because I like to log in remotely, and I like mate
desktop layout. But any flavor of LTS is fine.

Anyway, allow the ubuntu installer to choose the partitioning because
anything else is too much work. then boot it, and give it a workout.
When you know that its stable, attach the hdd to the second port, and in
the bios make sure it continues to boot from the ssd, and boot and
access your files. On some systems, the first two sata ports are the
fastest.

Newer systems allow you to define the drive as an ssd in the bios, to
have the best compatibility/speed. I doubt yours has that. I used to
build systems with boards just like those. Long ago.

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 at 23:05, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've tried to steer clear if those unless wet.  Dry, they can generate
> enough static to blow the gates it your memory.

Aargh!

Shows you can't trust all online tech tips... :-(

Re: Filesystem corruption

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 at 00:09, compdoc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Install ubuntu on the ssd using LVD

"LVD"?

LVM?

> and encryption as you like, or
> normally do.

I'd say, let's start with keeping it simple.

> I would recommend Ubuntu-Mate 18.04LTS, unless you have a
> good reason to use a newer version. Newer versions are not always
> stable.

Agreed.

> I use mate because I like to log in remotely, and I like mate
> desktop layout. But any flavor of LTS is fine.

A fair point.

Maté does allow that, but so does XFCE which I happen to prefer,
because I like vertical taskbars. LXDE/LXQt should be fine too.

It's mainly only GNOME and Cinnamon that don't because they can only
work via OpenGL rendering.

In theory KDE can but I have experienced many problems trying to get
KDE 5 to work in VMs (which is in some ways quite similar to using a
remote connection.)

On Thursday 11 July 2019 06:03:09 Liam Proven wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 at 23:05, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> > I've tried to steer clear if those unless wet.  Dry, they can
> > generate enough static to blow the gates it your memory.
>
> Aargh!
>
> Shows you can't trust all online tech tips... :-(

Well, me being both a retired tech, a C.E.T. and basicly a belt and
suspenders type in this regard, I also will be wearing a "ground me"
wrist band.  Those things are cheap enough, 2 or 3 bucks, that you
should always snap it on before touching what is today, nearly 100% CMOS
based circuitry. I also make heavy use of one of those $14 AC sniffers.
We still have in most pre-NEC built houses, and even in stuff built 20
years post-NEC 3 pin electrical plugs that aren't properly wired by
incompetent carpenters.  You can get those gizmo's from your nearest
home center, electrical aisle.

When I married this lady in '89, I moved into a house she'd bought
in '81. Since there weren't any children to consider, I took the 3rd,
smaller bedroom and made it into my computer den. First thing in the
next storm, blowed a modem.  Replaced it, blew it again. I took the
sockets out, verified they were wired right and soldered them with a
silver bearing solder, going all the way back to the service, found it
wasn't properly grounded and fixed that. That was 18 years ago, and I
haven't lost a single piece of gear since. I don't care if lightning
hits my service pole and sends me a quarter million volt surge, but if
everything is properly bonded so that everything bounces in unison,
nothing will be hurt.  I've since built a wired workshed and a garage,
that needed a new 200 amp service, so this house is now a subcircuit.
And I still seem to be safe.

> Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
> Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus:
> [hidden email] Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn:
> liamproven UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420
> 702 829 053

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis