wrong icon

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

wrong icon

rikona
Running 16.04 fully updated. A while back I had a problem where
programs would "disappear" when minimized. At that time I got a number
of good suggestions and workarounds on this list that made it mostly
work correctly. Thank you all again. Since then I have seen something
else that made it look like they disappeared. What happens is that,
when minimized, they are associated with an icon on the left vertical
column that has NO RELATIONSHIP to the running program. The small white
triangle does appear on that icon, and when clicked brings back the
minimized program. Program A always goes to the same unrelated icon Z -
it is not random.

My question is how do I associate a program with the CORRECT icon in
the left vertical column so that it minimizes to the CORRECT icon and
not some strange unrelated icon? Most programs are correctly
associated, but a few are not. Some that still seem to disappear might
possibly be associated with an icon that perhaps is not in the left
vertical column.

All info much appreciated.

Thanks

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: wrong icon

Colin Law


On Thu, 5 Apr 2018, 06:55 rikona, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Running 16.04 fully updated. A while back I had a problem where
programs would "disappear" when minimized. At that time I got a number
of good suggestions and workarounds on this list that made it mostly
work correctly. Thank you all again. Since then I have seen something
else that made it look like they disappeared. What happens is that,
when minimized, they are associated with an icon on the left vertical
column that has NO RELATIONSHIP to the running program. The small white
triangle does appear on that icon, and when clicked brings back the
minimized program. Program A always goes to the same unrelated icon Z -
it is not random.

Generally that would be a bug in that program. I suggest reporting it using ubuntu-bug package-name.

Colin



My question is how do I associate a program with the CORRECT icon in
the left vertical column so that it minimizes to the CORRECT icon and
not some strange unrelated icon? Most programs are correctly
associated, but a few are not. Some that still seem to disappear might
possibly be associated with an icon that perhaps is not in the left
vertical column.

All info much appreciated.

Thanks

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: wrong icon

rikona
On Thu, 05 Apr 2018 06:08:43 +0000
Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Apr 2018, 06:55 rikona, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Running 16.04 fully updated. A while back I had a problem where
> > programs would "disappear" when minimized. At that time I got a
> > number of good suggestions and workarounds on this list that made
> > it mostly work correctly. Thank you all again. Since then I have
> > seen something else that made it look like they disappeared. What
> > happens is that, when minimized, they are associated with an icon
> > on the left vertical column that has NO RELATIONSHIP to the running
> > program. The small white triangle does appear on that icon, and
> > when clicked brings back the minimized program. Program A always
> > goes to the same unrelated icon Z - it is not random.
> >  
>
> Generally that would be a bug in that program. I suggest reporting it
> using ubuntu-bug package-name.

Thanks for the reply. It doesn't seem like a program bug, and I'll give
a specific example which might help to define the problem a bit better.
As is often the case, the devil is in the details. :-) Let's say I want
to open Konqueror and type the letter K in the Dash. The correct icon
for Konqueror does appear and if I click on that icon it launches the
program. Also, if I put the correct Konqueror icon on the desktop and
click on that it also launches the program. When I minimize the
Konqueror program, though, it goes to the Treeline icon in the vertical
launcher bar. A small white triangle appears on that icon, and a right
mouse click on the Treeline icon shows the running instances of the
Konqueror program. Things are functionally correct except the icon is
incorrect. This launcher bar behavior survives reboots, updates and
other changes - somehow, in the launcher bar, Konqueror always appears
as a Treeline icon when minimized. I have a lot of icons in the
launcher bar and didn't spot this behavior for some time, and it was
one of the ways that I thought programs "disappeared" when they were
minimized. Now, since I know about it, I just go way down to the
Treeline icon [it is far down because I don't use that program often]
to restore Konqueror. Not a big problem but it would be nice if the
association was correct.

Rik

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: wrong icon

Peter Flynn
In reply to this post by Colin Law
On 05/04/18 07:08, Colin Law wrote:

>
>
> On Thu, 5 Apr 2018, 06:55 rikona, <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Running 16.04 fully updated. A while back I had a problem where
>     programs would "disappear" when minimized. At that time I got a number
>     of good suggestions and workarounds on this list that made it mostly
>     work correctly. Thank you all again. Since then I have seen something
>     else that made it look like they disappeared. What happens is that,
>     when minimized, they are associated with an icon on the left vertical
>     column that has NO RELATIONSHIP to the running program. The small white
>     triangle does appear on that icon, and when clicked brings back the
>     minimized program. Program A always goes to the same unrelated icon Z -
>     it is not random.
>
>
> Generally that would be a bug in that program. I suggest reporting it
> using ubuntu-bug package-name.

Rikona said "programs"..."they" which indicates that this isn't a single
program with a bug. It sounds more like either a bug in a shared library
that they all use, or a bug in the icon management.

P

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: wrong icon

Colin Law
In reply to this post by rikona
On 5 April 2018 at 18:44, rikona <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On Thu, 05 Apr 2018 06:08:43 +0000
> Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 5 Apr 2018, 06:55 rikona, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Running 16.04 fully updated. A while back I had a problem where
> > > programs would "disappear" when minimized. At that time I got a
> > > number of good suggestions and workarounds on this list that made
> > > it mostly work correctly. Thank you all again. Since then I have
> > > seen something else that made it look like they disappeared. What
> > > happens is that, when minimized, they are associated with an icon
> > > on the left vertical column that has NO RELATIONSHIP to the running
> > > program. The small white triangle does appear on that icon, and
> > > when clicked brings back the minimized program. Program A always
> > > goes to the same unrelated icon Z - it is not random.
> > >
> >
> > Generally that would be a bug in that program. I suggest reporting it
> > using ubuntu-bug package-name.
>
> Thanks for the reply. It doesn't seem like a program bug, and I'll give
> a specific example which might help to define the problem a bit better.
> As is often the case, the devil is in the details. :-) Let's say I want
> to open Konqueror and type the letter K in the Dash. The correct icon
> for Konqueror does appear and if I click on that icon it launches the
> program. Also, if I put the correct Konqueror icon on the desktop and
> click on that it also launches the program. When I minimize the
> Konqueror program, though, it goes to the Treeline icon in the vertical
> launcher bar. A small white triangle appears on that icon, and a right
> mouse click on the Treeline icon shows the running instances of the
> Konqueror program. Things are functionally correct except the icon is
> incorrect. This launcher bar behavior survives reboots, updates and
> other changes - somehow, in the launcher bar, Konqueror always appears
> as a Treeline icon when minimized. I have a lot of icons in the
> launcher bar and didn't spot this behavior for some time, and it was
> one of the ways that I thought programs "disappeared" when they were
> minimized. Now, since I know about it, I just go way down to the
> Treeline icon [it is far down because I don't use that program often]
> to restore Konqueror. Not a big problem but it would be nice if the
> association was correct.


You didn't make it clear whether it misbehaves if you start it from
the Dash.  If it does then why mention the operation when launched
from an icon on the desktop.

Is this 16.04 running Unity?

Can you provide a list of the programs you have noticed it on? Is
there anything obvious in common between them?

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: wrong icon

rikona
On Thu, 5 Apr 2018 20:57:08 +0100
Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5 April 2018 at 18:44, rikona <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 05 Apr 2018 06:08:43 +0000
> > Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >  
> > > On Thu, 5 Apr 2018, 06:55 rikona, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >  
> > > > Running 16.04 fully updated. A while back I had a problem where
> > > > programs would "disappear" when minimized. At that time I got a
> > > > number of good suggestions and workarounds on this list that
> > > > made it mostly work correctly. Thank you all again. Since then
> > > > I have seen something else that made it look like they
> > > > disappeared. What happens is that, when minimized, they are
> > > > associated with an icon on the left vertical column that has NO
> > > > RELATIONSHIP to the running program. The small white triangle
> > > > does appear on that icon, and when clicked brings back the
> > > > minimized program. Program A always goes to the same unrelated
> > > > icon Z - it is not random.
> > >
> > > Generally that would be a bug in that program. I suggest
> > > reporting it using ubuntu-bug package-name.  
> >
> > Thanks for the reply. It doesn't seem like a program bug, and I'll
> > give a specific example which might help to define the problem a
> > bit better. As is often the case, the devil is in the details. :-)
> > Let's say I want to open Konqueror and type the letter K in the
> > Dash. The correct icon for Konqueror does appear and if I click on
> > that icon it launches the program. Also, if I put the correct
> > Konqueror icon on the desktop and click on that it also launches
> > the program. When I minimize the Konqueror program, though, it goes
> > to the Treeline icon in the vertical launcher bar. A small white
> > triangle appears on that icon, and a right mouse click on the
> > Treeline icon shows the running instances of the Konqueror program.
> > Things are functionally correct except the icon is incorrect. This
> > launcher bar behavior survives reboots, updates and other changes -
> > somehow, in the launcher bar, Konqueror always appears as a
> > Treeline icon when minimized. I have a lot of icons in the launcher
> > bar and didn't spot this behavior for some time, and it was one of
> > the ways that I thought programs "disappeared" when they were
> > minimized. Now, since I know about it, I just go way down to the
> > Treeline icon [it is far down because I don't use that program
> > often] to restore Konqueror. Not a big problem but it would be nice
> > if the association was correct.  
>
>
> You didn't make it clear whether it misbehaves if you start it from
> the Dash.  If it does then why mention the operation when launched
> from an icon on the desktop.

It doesn't make any difference how it was started - even the CLI. It
still minimizes to the wrong icon. I mentioned that to show that the
correct icon appears, and works, in several places, so the pgm does
know about the correct icon.

> Is this 16.04 running Unity?

Yes, but I do have KDE pgms and other pgms that I run.
 
> Can you provide a list of the programs you have noticed it on? Is
> there anything obvious in common between them?

Not sure re a complete list - I try out a lot of pgms and many are
removed if I don't find them valuable. It does seem to be the ones that
are KDE, Mate, etc. I don't think I've seen it on Gnome pgms. Maybe
something about a desktop difference? I use multiple instances of konq
all the time and just fixing that would be helpful. There seems to be
at least a few inconsistencies between Unity and KDE.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: wrong icon

Colin Law
On 5 April 2018 at 22:06, rikona <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ...
>> Is this 16.04 running Unity?
>
> Yes, but I do have KDE pgms and other pgms that I run.

I was wondering whether it was a kde thing. Yes, most likely the
.desktop files have not got the Unity stuff there.

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: wrong icon

rikona
On Thu, 5 Apr 2018 22:37:49 +0100
Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5 April 2018 at 22:06, rikona <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > ...  
> >> Is this 16.04 running Unity?  
> >
> > Yes, but I do have KDE pgms and other pgms that I run.  
>
> I was wondering whether it was a kde thing. Yes, most likely the
> .desktop files have not got the Unity stuff there.

What kind of unity stuff do they need to have? I'd be happy to add
something if it would make these work correctly - just tell me what's
missing. I have about a gazillion desktop files, but I did sample
several of them located in a few different places. The Konqueror
desktop file seems to have the same kind of things that all the other
desktop files have in them. It does have an icon line naming the
konqueror icon. This line seems to be in all the desktop files and
gives the name of the icon that should be used. At first glance it
doesn't seem as though there's anything missing...

What I did notice, however, is that several KDE programs have their
desktop files in a "KDE" subdirectory so that the KDE desktop files are
not exactly in the same directory as all the other desktop files. Could
it be that unity does not look in this KDE subdirectory and thus can't
find the correct desktop file? If so, might it be that copying the
desktop files in the subdirectory into the main directory might make
them work? I'm rather hesitant to move around system-level files and
thus did not try this out so far, but if you think it would be a safe
experiment I'll try it.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: wrong icon

Colin Law
On 6 April 2018 at 02:53, rikona <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Apr 2018 22:37:49 +0100
> Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 5 April 2018 at 22:06, rikona <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > ...
>> >> Is this 16.04 running Unity?
>> >
>> > Yes, but I do have KDE pgms and other pgms that I run.
>>
>> I was wondering whether it was a kde thing. Yes, most likely the
>> .desktop files have not got the Unity stuff there.
>
> What kind of unity stuff do they need to have? I'd be happy to add
> something if it would make these work correctly - just tell me what's
> missing. I have about a gazillion desktop files, but I did sample
> several of them located in a few different places. The Konqueror
> desktop file seems to have the same kind of things that all the other
> desktop files have in them. It does have an icon line naming the
> konqueror icon. This line seems to be in all the desktop files and
> gives the name of the icon that should be used. At first glance it
> doesn't seem as though there's anything missing...
>
> What I did notice, however, is that several KDE programs have their
> desktop files in a "KDE" subdirectory so that the KDE desktop files are
> not exactly in the same directory as all the other desktop files. Could
> it be that unity does not look in this KDE subdirectory and thus can't
> find the correct desktop file? If so, might it be that copying the
> desktop files in the subdirectory into the main directory might make
> them work? I'm rather hesitant to move around system-level files and
> thus did not try this out so far, but if you think it would be a safe
> experiment I'll try it.

I haven't used Unity for a while now, having moved on with the default
Ubuntu setup. However, if you want to see if the folder is relevant
then copy one of the desktop files to .local/share/applications. Edit
it and change the Name field.  That is what appears when you hover
over the icon so you will be able to tell which one you are using.
Then open .local/share/applications in nautilus and you should see it
there, then drag it to the launcher and run it from there.  You might
have to set the execute flag on the desktop file (or you might have to
take it off, I can't remember).

If that doesn't work then check in the desktop file that there is an
Icon specified and check it has
OnlyShowIn=Unity;
X-UnityGenerated=true
though actually I have not idea what those do, but mine seem to have them.
You could also try
StartupWMClass=whatever-the-name-of-the-executable-is
though again exactly what that does and what you should put in is
unclear to me.  I don' think there is any danger fiddling with these
though.  Perhaps some Unity guru can throw more light on this if
necessary

Colin

>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users